Over heated 150 Evinrude Intruder

Texasfatfish

Cadet
Can a warped block be board allowing the sleeve to be replaced without other issues ? One cylinder is out of line enough that a new sleeve won't go back in. This is a 150 HP 1995 Evinrude Intruder. ROV failed dumping all the oil to one bank while starving the other. .

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Over heated 150 Evinrude Intruder

VRO failed dumping all the oil to one bank while starving the other. .
Cant happen as mixed VRO and distributed by fuel bracket reservoir....

Can a warped block be board allowing the sleeve to be replaced without other issues ?
If block is actually warped its junk but I have only seen 1 block actually warped in 35+years.If this was a upper cylinder it likely a leaker block. Have the block pressure tested before any repair as these are known especially this year for water leaking into cylinder from factory glue line when block was cast. If it is a leaker the sleeve/s will need to be pulled ,glue line welded and machined and sleeves reinstalled. If it passes pressure test and cylinder wont cleanup @.040 yes it can be resleeved. I never build one of these without pressure testing block as it will come back later$$$$$$.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Who said that the VRO " dumped " all the oil to one side ?--How was it determined that the block is warped?-----Most outboard castings warp with time, just a nature of aluminum castings.----Only way to prevent that is proper heat treating and aging before machining starts at the factory.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Number One cylinder was usually the problem one on that motor as Fazt said about the glue line.

Texasfatfish

Cadet

I understood that Evinrude had fixed the glue line issue by the year model 1995 on these 150. HP. Intruder motors Is that true
How does one go about pressure check the block to confirm wether there is a leak? Last thing I want to do is rebuild this to have it repeat the damage