Outdrives Are They All The Same?

As far as qulity, repair and cost are all outdrives about the same. Volvo, Merc, and OMC Cobra, is one better than the other? I don't know much about them, so anything else I need to know when looking at a used one?

sloopy

Commander
Re: Outdrives Are They All The Same?

your going to have to choose one you like, the volvoes are great, but low on dealers!, the Mecrusers, are the most popular! <br />-the origonal sloopy

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recently went through these and it seemed to come down to a toss-up. I read Volvo pays warrenty at higher rate so a warrenty repair doesn't get stuffed behind paying repairs. But, there aren't as many Volvo dealers to do the work. The Volvo SX seemed to be a little heavier duty than Mercruiser Alpha but everyone said unless getting into really big HP, the Alpha is fine. And then merc has the Bravo drives for big HP. Volvo's also shift into gear quieter they say because they have a different type of gear (cone vs ???). But the mercruiser clunk doesn't shorten life unless you shift very slowly all the time "grinding" the gear.<br /><br />BL...

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Buying new, if I had the money and a nearby dealer, get the Volvo.<br /><br />Buying ten years old, get the OMC (sold to Volvo in 1993).<br /><br />I had a brand new Mercruiser last year, and thought it inferior to my 15-year-old OMC.<br /><br />Just my opinion....