Outdrive won't go up high enough for trailering

mgmmojica

Cadet
Hello }Trophy crew! Just bought a 1997 2352. Somehow, I need to be able to get the outdrive higher than the limit switch, since the outdrive is too low for trailering. I've heard that there is a "trailer" switch somewhere that allows the drive to come up higher, but don't see anything on the shifter. I've toggeled the drive unit up and down several times bit it won't come up any higher than about a 1/4 way up. Any advice?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
It might be part of the shifter. On a Merc look at the bottom right hand corner of the shifter cover plate. See if the corner looks a bit different then the other side. In many cases its rubber and just needs to be pressed in hard

Otherwise post a pic so we can see what you have

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on a VP, there is a thumb switch for the trim up/down and an over-ride switch under the throttle handle (grip with finger tips) to raise up past the limit.

mgmmojica

Cadet
Thankyou both. I'm going to go look. If I dont see anything, I'll post a pic of what I have

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello }Trophy crew! Just bought a 1997 2352. Somehow, I need to be able to get the outdrive higher than the limit switch, since the outdrive is too low for trailering. I've heard that there is a "trailer" switch somewhere that allows the drive to come up higher, but don't see anything on the shifter. I've toggeled the drive unit up and down several times bit it won't come up any higher than about a 1/4 way up. Any advice?

Thanks
What power plant? Trophy bought the motor and drive to install, so the boat brand doesn't mean much. Chances are you have Mercruiser or Volvo-Penta power.

Welcome aboard.

mgmmojica

Cadet
Nope. Couldnt find any hidden switches.
Below the trim toggle switch, there is a rectangular button, but hard to tell if it is an actual control. Doesnt do anything when pushed, and it barely goes in.
When I bought the boat last Sat, the owner brought the out drive all the way up, but I wasnt watching when he undid it. Here is what it looks like

Attachments

• 16117911281251885228867921951826.jpg
    16117911281251885228867921951826.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 6

mgmmojica

Cadet
Nope. Couldnt find any hidden switches.
Below the trim toggle switch, there is a rectangular button, but hard to tell if it is an actual control. Doesnt do anything when pushed, and it barely goes in.
When I bought the boat last Sat, the owner brought the out drive all the way up, but I wasnt watching when he undid it. Here is what it looks like

alldodge

Staff member
That's a Merc control like whats on my Formula.
The 2 rockers below the throttle are the trim tabs. There will be another single switch which would be labeled trailer, this is the trailer drive button. If it does not work then its the switch or the wiring.

Below is mine which I was replacing the trim tab buttons with auto trim. The 2 on top where my trim tabs, and the one below is the trailer

Photo1338.jpg

If you want to loose the trailer button like I did, find the trim limit wires coming from the drive. Disconnect them and then connect the ones coming from the throttle together. Doing this will bypass the limit and the throttle trim will allow full up and down with the throttle trim button

mgmmojica

Cadet
That's good advice. If nothing else works, I'll try that - seems bullet proof. I think the rectangular button under toggle switch may have been the trailer switch.

Thanks for your info

Attachments

• 20210127_145014.jpg
    20210127_145014.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
That's good advice. If nothing else works, I'll try that - seems bullet proof. I think the rectangular button under toggle switch may have been the trailer switch.

Thanks for your info
No, thats a spacer for a single drive handle (same as mine)

mgmmojica

Cadet
Ok.....called the Owner. I'm just dumb for not thinkng of that first. There is a toggle switch on the instrument panel for the trailer function - but the lettering has long since faded..........but it works!!!! Glad that's over. Thanks for the help