outdrive question

sunbird4.3

Recruit
i have 85 sunbird cosica 190 with a 4.3L and no outdrive for it, and i have a 89 cosica with a 3.0 WITH an outdrive, and wanted to know if there was anyway to use that outdrive on the 85.<br /><br />i dont know much about boats but i think the 85 has 21/18 teeth or something like that? and the 89 has 21/19 teeth, dont know if that helps at all.<br /><br />if it is not possible to frankestein these two, what other options might i have in aquiring an outdrive for a 1985 sunbird? thanks

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: outdrive question

First question that comes to mind - Are they the same color. 1985 was a year that had both Cobra outdrives and the older outdrives. Cobras are charcol and the olders are white. If they are both charcol, then yes you could use it. The ratio might be off a little but youo can cure that by getting a slightly different pitch prop. Other than the gear ratio, the drives (providing they are the same color - should bolt right up.

4.3sunbird

Seaman

I run a 3.0 outdrive behind my 4.3 <br /><br />Im not sure of the year thing he mentioned about <br /><br />the 3.0 outdrive is geared different but changing the prop to get your wot rpm in spec will fix that <br /><br />my 4.3 has way more power than stock and I havent hurt the outdrive <br /><br />I had to go to a 23" pitch prop to get my wot rpm down .. with a stock 4.3 I'd say a 19 or 21 pitch should do<br /><br />btw its a sunbird corsair ...Ive been known to call mine a corsica too :) <br /><br />oh yeah nice user name ..I had to look twice

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by 4.3sunbird:<br /> <br /><br />oh yeah nice user name ..I had to look twice
I just figured it out myself.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Was the question answered in another forum?