Outdrive painted - Problem?

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
I'm picking up our "new" boat next week. I noticed yesterday, while the boat was on land, that the entire outdrive and props were painted with the same paint as the bottom of the boat. I asked, "Why?" considering that I always thought that there had to be a gap betwen the bottom paint and the drive, and that the drive and propellers themselves were never bottom painted. The service manager said to me that everything was OK because this wasn't bottom anti-fouling paint. He told me what the paint was but I didn't catch the name. The engine's a 2000 Mercruiser 5.0 with a Bravo III drive. The baots' a Chaparral. Is this a problem or not?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Outdrive painted - Problem?

Yep!... No paint on the drive and 1 1/2" of the transom around the drive....

You need to strip off and repaint it with Merc 'Phantom Black'...

Chris..........

Fun Times

Staff member

MerCruiser service manual.... Manual #11, section 1B, page 15....;)

Page 1B-15
Checking Optional Quicksilver Anti-Corrosion Anode Kit
If boat is equipped with Quicksilver Anti-Corrosion Anode Kit, inspect anode and replace if
eroded to less than 50% of its original size. Carefully follow installation instructions, that accompany
new Anode Kit, to ensure proper installation.
Boat Bottom Care
To achieve maximum performance and fuel economy, boat bottom MUST BE kept clean.
Accumulation of marine growth or other foreign matter can greatly reduce boat speed and
increase fuel consumption. To ensure best performance and efficiency, periodically clean
boat bottom in accordance with manufacturer?s recommendations.
In some areas, it may be advisable to paint the bottom to help prevent marine growth. Refer
to the following information for special notes about the use of antifouling paints.
Antifouling Paint
IMPORTANT: Corrosion damage that results from the improper application of antifouling
paint will not be covered by the limited warranty.
Painting Boat Hull or Boat Transom: Antifouling paint may be applied to boat hull and boat
transom but you must observe the following precautions:
IMPORTANT: DO NOT paint anodes or MerCathode System reference electrode and
anode, as this will render them ineffective as galvanic corrosion inhibitors.
IMPORTANT: If antifouling protection is required for boat hull or boat transom, copper
or tin base paints, if not prohibited by law, can be used. If using copper or tin
based antifouling paints, observe the following:
? Avoid an electrical interconnection between the MerCruiser Product, Anodic Blocks,
or MerCathode System and the paint by allowing a minimum of 1-1/2 in. (40mm) UNPAINTED
area on transom of the boat around these items.
a
b
a - Painted Boat Transom
b - Minimum 1-1/2 in (40mm) UNPAINTED Area Around Transom Assembly
NOTE: Drive unit and transom assembly can be painted with a good quality marine paint
or an antifouling paint that DOES NOT contain copper, tin, or any other material that could
conduct electrical current. Do not paint drain holes, anodes, MerCathode system, and items
specified by boat manufacturer.
Maintaining Ground Circuit Continuity
The transom assembly and sterndrive unit are equipped with a ground wire circuit, to ensure
good electrical continuity between engine, transom assembly and sterndrive components.
Good continuity is essential for the MerCathode System to function effectively. Refer to Section

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11b1r5x.pdf

T-Bone Coug

Seaman Apprentice

You guys failed to read the note that its NOT anti-fouling paint. As long as its non-conductive he's ok.