Outdrive oil leak..

targabill

Cadet
Yes I agree all the seals should be changed as rubber parts just go bad over time.. Boat is 36 years old...
But this was a quick fix, got me back on the water, 5 hours on Lake Winnipesaukee yesterday..
I had no water in my outdrive, Oil was leaking from the lower seal in upper unit, as mentioned. This leaks into the exhaust chamber, when outdrive is up on the trailer, the oil leaks into the area where the shift shaft goes down through, this shaft is not sealed and oil comes out like I mentioned in the original post.
A quick pressure test looked good but I will be changing all the seals this coming winter..
BTW my shaft was super smooth so no need for a speedy sleeve.
Happy boating..

Last edited:

Scott06

Admiral
Yes I agree all the seals should be changed as rubber parts just go bad over time.. Boat is 36 years old...
But this was a quick fix, got me back on the water, 5 hours on Lake Winnipesaukee yesterday..
I had no water in my outdrive, Oil was leaking from the lower seal in upper unit, as mentioned. This leaks into the exhaust chamber, when outdrive is up on the trailer, the oil leaks into the area where the shift shaft goes down through, this shaft is not sealed and oil comes out like I mentioned in the original post.
A quick pressure test looked good but I will be changing all the seals this coming winter..
BTW my shaft was super smooth so no need for a speedy sleeve.
Happy boating..
Up north like that you can’t waste a day of short season … finally warm enough in upstate NY .

kenny nunez

Captain
As I posted on #5 the lower seal only protects the upper seal. If oil is running down the shaft because the upper is leaking you are rolling the dice.
When the oil drains out the upper the gear set will be toast.
Just keep a close watch when the boat is on the trailer and the drive lifted.

targabill

Cadet
As I posted on #5 the lower seal only protects the upper seal. If oil is running down the shaft because the upper is leaking you are rolling the dice.
When the oil drains out the upper the gear set will be toast.
Just keep a close watch when the boat is on the trailer and the drive lifted.
Not sure I follow "lower seal only protects the upper seal" ? There are 3 seals, the lower smaller seal, the one I replaced, the medium size, above the gears, and the large one in front of the bearings.. Each one is designed to keep oil in and water out.. My medium and large seals seam ok for now as i got a good pressure test.. It's been on the trailer for over a week with 2 boat rides and not a drop of oil.
Thanks, and I will continue to double check it...

kenny nunez

Captain
The seal in question is the one below the driven gear in the driveshaft housing and above the one that you changed.
Just keep a close watch on it.

targabill

Cadet
The seal in question is the one below the driven gear in the driveshaft housing and above the one that you changed.
Just keep a close watch on it.
Hmm, I bought a full seal kit, O-Rings gaskets, etc. And there was only 3 seals as I mentioned in it.. There is an o-ring on the shaft that goes through my new seal above it.. Do you have a link to an exploded view..
Thanks...