Outdrive issue

Grunt_1021

Recruit
Hey so I have a restoration going on. It’s a 1975 sea ray SRV 190 with the ALPHA 888. I’m trying to get the engine out. And I can’t get the out drive off. I can’t get it into forward. Is there a way to do it manually? Also any tips to get the outdrive off?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
First question to ask is why can't you get it into forward? (Frozen control box, seized control cable, etc). When you know what's stopping it, we can offer advice around the problem.

Grunt_1021

Recruit
First question to ask is why can't you get it into forward? (Frozen control box, seized control cable, etc). When you know what's stopping it, we can offer advice around the problem.
I’m pretty sure stuck cable. Control box is working. But I’m watching the cables in the back and it isn’t moving much

alldodge

Staff member
If the throttle handle is moving but its not moving at the shift plate on the motor, the cable is broke/disconnected

Grunt_1021

Recruit
As far as I can see everything cable wise towards the motor is fine. I think it is broke around the outdrive portion. And I can’t get it off to find out

alldodge

Staff member
Disconnect the cable going to the drive.
Tilt the drive up and grab the shift foot with pliers and rotate so it faces forward

Bondo

Staff member
As far as I can see everything cable wise towards the motor is fine. I think it is broke around the outdrive portion. And I can’t get it off to find out
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,........ Have ya removed the lower shift cable from the shift plate, where it meets the forward cable,..??
If you manually push/ pull the lower shift cable end,..?? What happens,..??

You can do as AD said to manually shift the drive into Forward gear,...
The shift foot/ shoe has to be straight fore, 'n aft,....

You can also drop the lower unit from the upper drive to get the upper off,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The cable from the remote control goes to the shift plate, not directly to the drive. Find the shift plate and see if the cables are moving there.

This is how the system works....

1621054771862.png