Outdrive gear oil change...help...

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to change the gear oil on my new 94 mercruiser 3.0. I think I understand how it's suppose to be done but I can't squeeze anymore gear lube in the fill/drain hole. More come's out then goes in. So I filled the rest through the dip stick hole until it came out of the vent hole. Let it sit for a long time and the dip stick level show's full. <br /><br />There seem's to be more of a grind when put into gear instead of the clunk. Haven't taken it out yet but thought I would get some thought's so I don't mess anything up. Thank's for any help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outdrive gear oil change...help...

Drain it again and refill from the bottom untill it comes out the top or you risk drive failure from lack of oil. the reason it gets hard is the oil goes thru a connecting passage about 3/32ths to get into the upper.

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a better way to do this? I have been using tube's to try to fill it and it doesn't work well. Thank's

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are using tubes to fill the drive, I would suggest buying your gear oil in a gallon container and buying a hand pump that fits that container...way easier.<br /><br />You need something like this:<br /><br />
sl4344.jpg

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice

Thank's for the advice, I guess I should have just had the shop do it. Does it have to be marine gear lube or can I use auto grade? Any advice on where to buy this stuff by the gallon?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

NO AUTO GRADE!!! Must be marine high viscosity gear lube...Napa auto parts or any marine dealer or Bass Pro shop..75W-90 or Merc lower unit oil..<br />You can pick one of the hand pumps up at Bass Pro for 10 bucks...Fill very slow from the bottom!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Either use what the manual says or the equivalent. <br /><br />I use Mobil 1 GL-5 75w-90 synthetic in my Volvo. I believe you can use the same in the mercruiser.

imported_alex_G

Seaman Apprentice

Is there any difference between 75W-90 auto lube and marine lube?

jeffyjeff

Seaman Apprentice

ok, I will check napa...One last question on this...At what angle do I want the lower unit when filling or does it matter?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yes Alex there is a difference in marine verses auto lube..Always use marine!<br />Jeff,You want the drive in the down position with the boat near being level..<br />The mobil 1 is good oil...

KRS

Banned

I too vote for the pump method, it's easy.