outdrive cable adjustable pin???

wtg2320

Seaman
I just replaced my bellows and shift cable, when I put it back on it will go into forward and neutral just fine but the best I can get the adjustment in reverse leaves the rachet sound. I have been doing some research and I read that the pin the the shift cable attaches to is adjustable. I tried adjusting this but it seems to do the same thing as adjusting the barrels. Is this the case or am I doing it wrong? I am adjusting off everything that I have read on this forum. also when I am doing the adjustments on the shift cable i put the barrel in the slot and try attaching it to the stud but it seems the cable is not long enough to attach it to the stud. any suggestions?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
most likely you need a new lower shift cable. If your in NJ I can do it for you.
And if you tell us what the cable is hooked to you might even get a manual for it

wtg2320

Seaman
sorry it is a 88 mercruiser 2.5l alpha one. I just replaced the cable so why would i need a new one?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Did you install it correctly, meaning you threaded it in to almost no threads showing. And the setscrew is just right where the slide will spin without binding or excessive free play. Can you manually shift it into reverse with the lower cable disconnected inside the boat?

Last edited: