Outboards that will charge battery

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if older outboards Say a 1969 25 HP or a 1983 15 hp Evinrude would charge my boat battery If it was electric start from the factory?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Generally the electric start OBs of that era will charge the battery, if they are electric start. The charging systems are minimal, say 6 or 9 amps. I do not know the specifics of those motors, however. If you have engine model numbers you could look up the charging system parts on crowleymarine or some other parts place.

My 1961 Evinrude 35HP motor did have electric start, but no charging system. Shortly after that, charging became nearly standard on electric start OBs.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Generally the electric start OBs of that era will charge the battery, if they are electric start. The charging systems are minimal, say 6 or 9 amps. I do not know the specifics of those motors, however. If you have engine model numbers you could look up the charging system parts on crowleymarine or some other parts place.

My 1961 Evinrude 35HP motor did have electric start, but no charging system. Shortly after that, charging became nearly standard on electric start OBs.
Awesome! Thank you!