outboard was very hard to start after sitting a while then smoked a lot

tkms002

Seaman
I have a model year 2000 200 EFI Merc. It sat for a month or so. I took it out to the lake to test a new kicker I had installed. When I went to start the 200 it ran very slowly and would not allow any additional throttle or it would quit. After a few of these starts and stops it began to stop immediately after starting. I would crank it, it would fire like once and kick out the starter then quit. Over and over again. I drifted around the lake a while testing the new 15 hp and then went to try starting the big motor again. It acted like it did at the doc. It would start and run very weekly for a bit but would not allow any throttle. After many attempts it finally allowed me to advance the throttle in neutral. After revving it a bit it seemed to clear up and then ran fine for the rest of the morning.
When it initially started and kept running it smoked a LOT for a minute or so then cleaned up. It has been smoking a lot after sitting a while for some years now but never refused to start. Could the oil injection be leaking or something like that?
Looking for any suggestions as to what might cause this. The primer bulb remained firm during all this.

Dukedog

Captain
tha heavy smoke indicates its gettin way more fuel than needed for whatever rpm its tryin' ta run and/or not firin' properly.. may be time for injector and injector o-ring service...
don't know where ya are and/or what type fuel ya get in that location but fuel lines may need a close check and/or replaced.... jmo.

tkms002

Seaman
tha heavy smoke indicates its gettin way more fuel than needed for whatever rpm its tryin' ta run and/or not firin' properly.. may be time for injector and injector o-ring service...
don't know where ya are and/or what type fuel ya get in that location but fuel lines may need a close check and/or replaced.... jmo.
I replaced all the fuel lines I the past month.

tkms002

Seaman
when you say injector service, what does that intail?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Service require them to be removed and sent off for screens replaced, cleaned and flow tested and balanced. There are a few that do this as Brucato is the only one I prefer. Beware as there are those who clean them but never check flow rate just spray pattern.

tkms002

Seaman
but it only does that after it sits for at least a couple weeks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If the injectors are leaking by you flood the crankcase, when engine is last run the internal heat and extend no run period evaporates the fuel and leaves the oil residue.

tkms002

Seaman
Service require them to be removed and sent off for screens replaced, cleaned and flow tested and balanced. There are a few that do this as Brucato is the only one I prefer. Beware as there are those who clean them but never check flow rate just spray pattern.
do you have more specific contact info for Brucato?

tkms002

Seaman
thanks

tkms002

Seaman
If the injectors are leaking by you flood the crankcase, when engine is last run the internal heat and extend no run period evaporates the fuel and leaves the oil residue.
how much of a chore is it to remove the injectors?