Outboard Trolling Motor Mounting

What type of bracket have people used to mount an outboard trolling motor on a 225 Sea Hunt Triton..Also will a 9.9 surfice or go to 15 as I will be dealing with current in both SF Bay and out the gate Pacific Ocean..Don't want to drive the 9.9 full throttle all day . TIA

Steve

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is the purpose of the motor?

Pretty much everyone I know that mounted kickers to troll Stripers (2-3 kts) gave up and went back to trolling with main motor(s)

Lots of mechanical issues, cracked and broken mounts, pulled bolts, etc. but the main reason was economics. The big 4 stroke outboards are just too economical.

A 225 HP 4 stroke outboard at trolling speed (800-1000 rpm) is burning 0.8 -1.2 gph. Hard to justify the cost and hassle of a kicker at that rate

Most have since gone to bow mounts with gps positioning to maintain position when fishing structure.

What is the purpose of the motor?

Pretty much everyone I know that mounted kickers to troll Stripers (2-3 kts) gave up and went back to trolling with main motor(s)

Lots of mechanical issues, cracked and broken mounts, pulled bolts, etc. but the main reason was economics. The big 4 stroke outboards are just too economical.

A 225 HP 4 stroke outboard at trolling speed (800-1000 rpm) is burning 0.8 -1.2 gph. Hard to justify the cost and hassle of a kicker at that rate

Most have since gone to bow mounts with gps positioning to maintain position when fishing structure.
Thanks for the response.. I have a Yamaha 250 and don' want to load a bunch of hours on it just to idle...Can't be good for the motor to sit at idle for 8 plus hours as well....just thinking that working a 15hp 4 stroke at mid throttle would be better for both motors concerned...as well as having the backup for going out in the ocean just in case...Best Steve

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a Yamaha 250 and don' want to load a bunch of hours on it just to idle...Can't be good for the motor to sit at idle for 8 plus hours as well....
Four stroke motors are very well suited for low rpm operation. They are most efficient at idle and happy doing so all day, every day.

I can understand wanting to keep hours off your primary but in reality, salt kills by exposure not run time. As such, there is no such thing as a “low hour” salt water motor.
Your better off running it all day, every day until corrosion gets you.
as well as having the backup for going out in the ocean just in case...
There is an old and true adage….if a motor can’t plane the boat, don’t count on it getting you home (in tidal water).

As such, I have a really hard time justifying the ROI of buying, installing and supporting a second motor for this purpose. An unlimited towing policy from Tow Boat or similar outfit is your best and most cost effective means of getting home.