outboard teardown

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: outboard teardown

YEP! Put about one teaspoonfull of TWC-3 oil in each cylinder and crank it over a couple of turns to spread the oil before checking compression.

Alright here's the scoop......yay yay yay we got 140 compression across all cylinders. Wow I'm so exited.
So here's what I've done so far. Knowing that the block is good I scraped the old sealant off the bottom of the doner engine and the top of leg. I then put a bead of new sealant and sat her down and bolted her down. I took off the entire carb assembly as one still attached to that black plate they bolt to. I then bolted my set that was removed in the same fashion( mine were set by a marine shop). I then swapped out the fuel filter box that bolts to the engine, as well as my fuel lines.
I'm going to start the electrical soon then go to the controls and little things...
I would need a few questions answered please please please

1- Was it a good ideal to reuse the head gasket after I separated it to see inside the chambers? ( mine from my engine looks new, can I use that one or will it not seal seeing how it's shaped to a diffent head)
2- the ends of the stator look rusty, can I wire brush that?
3- should I sand the inside of the flywheel?
4- can I damage the engine in any way starting it when I think I'm ready to see if it starts up?
5- when reading the link and sink, there's a warning not to set something wrong or it will cause damage. Do I have to worry about that seeing how my carbs were set at the start or do I have to reset them cause of the swap?
6- I will have to time this beast seeing how I changed all the elect...can someone guide me threw this. I've never done timing.
I know it's a lot of questions, lol but were almost there and I just don't want to screw something up.
Thanks again for your ongoing knowledge and willinness to help a stranger.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_6082.jpg104_6899.jpg104_6901.jpg

1. As long as it appears good with no cracks or missing pieces, the head gasket can be re-used.
2. No
3. No
4. No --as long as you keep water on the lower unit so the water pump is lubricated and the engine does not overheat. muffs or bucket.
5. Do not set carbs too lean. More than likely, they will be correctly set for the new engine if they were correctly set on the old one---BUT-- You did damage a piston. Disassemble the carbs and clean them before installing. THEN use a cheap disposable filter between the fuel pump and carbs. The one in the photo is on a four cylinder engine and is between the carbs but that is immaterial.
6. It never hurts to re-time the engine. You have many posts to search for timing instructions. It's all there on the forum.

SHE RUNS......YAY for us....
The only prob I have is that the starter is turning while the engine is running.... It's not ingaged to the flywheel either... It's just free spinning.. If I put my finger on the nut I can stop it but the minute I let it go she starts spinning again. What gives? It's brand new starter too...
Thanks again for all your help in this rebuild... My son thanks you greatly for the Saturday boating we got planned now.....
Thanks a million guys. Couldn't of done this without all ur help...