Outboard steering full range?

tangent

Seaman
It seems as though my outboard doesn't steer with a wide enough angle range after a new dual cable steering system was re-installed on my boat (19' cuddy with 1986 Johnson 150HP VRO). The previous owner had replaced it with a single cable, which let the outboard swing through a wider range. Right now, with the new dual cable system, it turns a total of 90 degrees (plus or minus 45 degrees).<br /><br />I'm worried this will make docking in tight spaces harder (at least with my meager skills).<br /><br />Is this range good enough? If not, are there longer lever arms or something like that available??<br /><br />I did try to go this myself, but gave up at let the shop do it, they picked the parts.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Outboard steering full range?

A longer steering arm would only make your problem worse, give you less travel!<br />I guess your existing arm does'nt have a second hole closer to the motor by any chance?<br /><br />Canuck 16.

tangent

Seaman

Yup. After I wrote longer I realized I meant shorter... I'll check it out.<br /><br />Know what the typical range is?

tangent

Seaman

Hey, there is a second hole! Only a little closer, but I'll try it out.

tangent

Seaman

The other hole would help a little, but the tube for the second steering cable is in the way so I can't get the bolt into it. When I disconnected the linkage I found that I could only get a couple more degrees before the outboard itself hits some sort of stop. I did find that I only get about plus or minus 30 degrees, but that does seem to match other outboards I saw the other day.<br /><br />Conclusion: I guess it is as good as it is going to get...