Outboard starts and runs for a bit then dies

Mwilson18

Seaman
I have a Mercury 60hp 2 stroke outboard, and a few months back I used an open tank of gas and an open ended (cut) hose that I plugged into my outboard and dumped the other end into the tank. The boat ran fine several times with this method, and I was only using just to test motor. After getting a new hose to connect to my boat’s original built in gas tank, I attempted to run the outboard to no avail. It started up and only ran for about 10 seconds then died. I did notice fuel dripping out of the carburetor area, but not sure if this is normal. It would seem that the issue is within the new fuel line/tank. Any ideas??

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I do not use built in tanks, only run remote tank. Is this the first time running on the built in tank? I would be leery of running with built in tank unless you know for a fact the tank is clean. Could be a air pocket in the line going from the tank to the motor. Did motor run good on remote tank and different speeds? also do you use a gas water separator filter if not I would highly recommend it!

Mwilson18

Seaman
I do not use built in tanks, only run remote tank. Is this the first time running on the built in tank? I would be leery of running with built in tank unless you know for a fact the tank is clean. Could be a air pocket in the line going from the tank to the motor. Did motor run good on remote tank and different speeds? also do you use a gas water separator filter if not I would highly recommend it!
Yes this was the first time running the built in tank and new hose. I have pumped gas in with the primer and while doing a carb clean, the bowls were full of gas so I can’t see what the problem would be with the tank and hose. I am also using the correct 50:1 oil mix with AV gas. With the old tank the motor seemed to run fine, started right up with no issues and performed well in forward and reverse. I also took the built in tank out and cleaned it out when I first got the boat. I don’t believe the boat has a gas/water filter.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I had this problem I just tightened all of the connections on the hose and it fixed it.