Outboard mounted to high or to low?

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Outboard mounted to high or to low?

The foot on the 135 i had on the boat put the prop right behind the bottom of the transom so from what i could figure was that the transom pushed the water away from the prop causing it to cavitate. I dont think it would be that much of a prob to get a used jack plate & raise this motor a few inches but i wanted to check & make sure it couldnt be left the way it is before i go spending more money. The vee in the transom is deeper than it looks from the pics so its misleading but thx again for all the input, after all im here to get advice from everybody cause im still new to boating & by no means know it all lol.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Umm i was told but never looked into it but someone said that when i had the 20" shaft motor on the boat to lower the motor with a jack plate. Is that possible i mean its called a jack plate to jack the motor up right? After all ive never seen one used for that purpose.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

The foot on the 135 i had on the boat put the prop right behind the bottom of the transom so from what i could figure was that the transom pushed the water away from the prop causing it to cavitate. I dont think it would be that much of a prob to get a used jack plate & raise this motor a few inches but i wanted to check & make sure it couldnt be left the way it is before i go spending more money. The vee in the transom is deeper than it looks from the pics so its misleading but thx again for all the input, after all im here to get advice from everybody cause im still new to boating & by no means know it all lol.

Looks like you have a few notches left to move that motor up. Just try moving it up one or two notches. Next trim the motor so that anti-ventilation plate is horizontal and compare where it is in relation to the bottom of the boat. (As shown in the picture by HWSIII.)

Don't tuck the motor right in, only trim in until it is horizontal. Use a straight edge to compare. If you can get the plate even with or slightly higher than the bottom of your hull you are good to go.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good deal thats money saved. Thanks

gss036

Commander

Looks like you have at least 3, maybe 4 holes to move the engine higher on the transom. That would be my suggestion, only expense would be cost of a tube of 5200 or some sealant to fill the bolt hole before re-installation.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Looks like you have at least 3, maybe 4 holes to move the engine higher on the transom. That would be my suggestion, only expense would be cost of a tube of 5200 or some sealant to fill the bolt hole before re-installation.

Just a side note; I use 3M 4200 on through hull bolts for engine mounting. 5200 is very, very difficult to remove.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point thanks guys

gss036

Commander

4200 works ok. I had 5200 on mine on the original install then raised it up 2 holes and they used 5200 again w/o any problems, this was at a dealer. The main thing is to get the transom sealed inside the drilled holes to keep water out so you don't have rot.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, away on a business trip. Just checking in.
Motor needs to be raised up without a doubt. See if you can get the cav plate even with the bottom of the hull to begin with and see if there is a difference. Try to look at it when you are on plane. You will have to have someone else drive while you do this. Make certain that the motor is getting enough cooling water when you do this though.
My 2 cents.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys dont think im stalling im just waiting for the weather to get better so i can get the boat moved to my parents so i can start doing what needs to be done to it but thanks alot for all the advice cause if it werent for this forum & you guys id be paying out pockets of cash to some mechanic & id prob only be getting one opinion on the situation.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

from the picture you posted it looks at if the skeg is hitting the ground and preventing you from trimming down enough to really measure and check your motor height!!!!!!!!!!!

first things first...get the trailer and boat high enough to trim the motor down so that the cav plate is PARRALLEL with the BOTTOM of the boat!!!!

then put a straight edge or yard stick on the underside of the hiull and let it stick out past the motor.

then judge where the cav plate is in comparison to the bottom of the hull..

BASICALLY....if it is within an inch or so high or low you will be OK..

BUT, if youd really like to tune the set up best as you can...then try and get the cav plate level or slightly higher than the bottom of the hull and give the boat a spin.... you have three holes to try going up...

dont change anything else!!!!

make sure your tach works.. and the motor is otherwise running good.

take the boat out for a run, try full speed turns...that is usualy the first place a washout will occur...you can then decide if you like the performance...and just need to slow down in turns..or you need to keep making adjustments to the motor height..

there are at least two hole locations that will work almost identical...

make sure you go through all the trim adjustments while fully trying out the performance each hole setting is giving you..'

might take a few weekends

a hydraulic jack plate would get rid of all your issues and let you tweak that setting anyway you want...

and keep that motor shaft you already have. because for one the jack plate will come with an additional four sets of holes!!!!!!

for all kinds of adjustments prior to using the jack as intended!!!!

good luck

bob