outboard mounted... inboard???

anne

Cadet
Okay, this is probably a dumb question and i'm the only clueless one, but my curiosity has the best of me...<br /><br />We just got back from a week's vacation at Sunset Beach, NC (close to the NC-SC border). One time when we were stopped waiting for boat traffic to go through the drawbridge, we saw a few boats configured in a way i hadn't seen before -- they had outboard engines mounted not on the transom but within the hull. They seemed to have a... well??? through the hull a few feet forward of the transom...<br /><br />What are boats configured like this called? Is there a special purpose for this configuration? How do they steer -- does the motor pivot as in a transom-mounted o/b, or do they have a rudder astern of the motor like an inboard?<br /><br />-curious anne
smile.gif

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: outboard mounted... inboard???

I believe that they are mostly used as inshore shrimp trawlers. An outboard on the transom gets in the way of the terminal gear and in this configuration, the transom area is clear as a work area. I have seen these on the NC coast all of my life. Most of them were built in somebody's back yard.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I don't know the technical name for this design, but we have them here in Florida too.<br />They are used in the commercial fishing trade for different species. The crabbers use them for the added deck space, amd the abilty to carry many traps,and toss them off the stern when underway. Mullet fisherman use the rear space for nets. With the engine placed midships, the nets don't foul the prop.

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

it's called a motor well: two main reasons for having one are #1, a higher transom makes it more sea-worthy; and #2 as mentioned, for clearance of specific working tasks from the rear of boat. this design also lets you "kick up" the motor for complete access to the motor, while inside the boat.