Outboard motor test tachometer

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to buy a test tachometer for as cheap as I can but still have a descent tool.
Any suggestions?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The cheapest are induction tachs, for which 2-4 stroke motor brand and with how many cylinders would that be ?

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some smart phones can be adapted to perform a tachometer function.----Just stick some reflective tape on the flywheel I think.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Some smart phones can be adapted to perform a tachometer function.----Just stick some reflective tape on the flywheel I think.
With removed cowl, good to check/adjust idle rpm at neutral, would like to see a smartphone measuring high rpm on the flywheel at wot.

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Searaider----Do yourself a favor.----Google-----smartphone tachometer------See what technology can do for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a photo tach I use on my motors to verify the RPM of any electronic tach.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Searaider----Do yourself a favor.----Google-----smartphone tachometer------See what technology can do for you.
Thanks, but I like having a permanent installed hour/tach to visually check rpm operation throughout the throttle range, the smartphone tech is useless for my needs. Let the OP decide which of both mentioned tach methods will suit best his current need.

Happy Boating