Outboard hp for 15 Sport...?

panamapaul

Recruit
Was thinking of putting a Suzuki 30hp 4-stroke on a 15 Sport I have but a lot of people say I should go for 50hp or 60 hp…? That seems kind of overkill to me but I’m not a boating expert. I don’t plan on pulling water skiers or anything. We’re just talking about a 15 foot boat here! I’ve seen the same boat with much less than 30hp on it and performing what I thought was reasonable well. Actual down here in Central America where I’m at 30hp is considered a monster by their standards but state side advice mostly leans towards much bigger is better..? What kind of performance could I expect out of a 30hp motor with two or 3 guys out leisure recreational boating? My boats a Central American Whaler copy without the foam coring or a center consol just going to be a tiller outboard. Just has a low profile floor, a rear bench seat and small bow locker. The fiberglass is a bit beefier than stock to compensate for lack of coring. Without the motor it’s around 600lbs or so. I’m not looking for blister speed or hole shots. I just want an economical outboard with decent performance. Seems a little much to hang a 250lb to 300lb engine on a 600lb boat! Am I wrong or not..? Any advice greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard hp for 15 Sport...?

Hi Paul,<br /><br />"My boats a Central American Whaler copy without the foam coring or a center consol just going to be a tiller outboard."<br /><br />That means it is not a Boston Whaler, Paul. That is very important.<br /><br />30hp will probably be quite adequate for what you want to do.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

hustler70

Cadet

once you get used to the boat 30 hp probably wont be enough. i run a 2cyl 60 on my 13. If you want to pull skiers or have passangers i would go with a 3cyl 70-75. It wil give you plenty of power and and wont be too much weight for the hull

JB

Paul.<br /><br />Hustler has overpowered a remote steered boat by 50%. A very bad idea except for those who would dare fate, even in a Boston Whaler.<br /><br />You have a tiller boat, not even a true Whaler. Your boat is unlikely to be rated for over 30hp with tiller steering, if that. <br /><br />The notion of putting 70-75 hp on your boat is suicidal. Don't even consider it.

JB

You are talking about remote steered Boston Whalers, Owner. Paul is talking about a 15' tiller skiff that only resembles a Whaler.

Even the 15 Standard was rated for 30hp max for tiller steering, and Paul's boat is certain to be less rigid and less strong than a BW.

He can probably use 30hp safely.

It is common to use any twin looper (OMC 40, 50, 60) on 13 Sports and V4 (OMC 85, 90, 100, 115, 120, 125) on 16s and 17s with remote steering. Not smart, but common. That is what you did with your 13 and Newport.

There is absolutely nothing in that that excuses putting 233% of probable rated power on a tiller steered boat of unknown manufacture or specs.

More important, both you and Hustler have made two very dangerous assumptions about Paul's boat.

1. You appear to see no difference in the power handling ability of a knockoff and a Whaler of similar size. Bad assumption. Check out the power rating of some light 15' skiffs.

2. You appear to see no difference in the stability under power of tiller and remote steering. Bad assumption. Even Boston Whaler ratings for tiller steered boats are HALF what they are for the same boat with console steering.

Please refrain from making recommendations based on apple-orange violations of good boating practice. If your comments are taken as credible you could get someone killed.

BTW, in many places it is illegal to power a boat over the rated max HP. In all places it is risky.