outboard fuel in air cooled engine?

Every year I have around three fresh gallons of 50:1 outboard mixed fuel left over. Could this fuel be used in an air cooled engine leaf blower even though the mix is for a water cooled engine? Or is it not worth damaging blower to save a few $$.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: outboard fuel in air cooled engine?

Chances are your leaf blower uses a 32:1 fuel/oil ratio -- not 50:1. However, add a little more oil to the fuel and use it. The blower will run nicely on TCW3 oil. Mine is well over 10 years old and that's practically all it ever ran on. My lawnboy mower is also a two stroke and has survived nicely for 10 years or more on the same stuff. Then there's my chain saws and ice auger. Guess what! Yup -- more TCW3.

45Auto

Commander

Or you could just dump the 3 gallons in your car. It'll never know the difference.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it was me ... I would rather dump it in my car than in an air cooled engine that requires another type of 2 cycle oil which is more resistant to air cooled running hotter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your car is fuel injected I wouldn't use it there.

As for the air cooled device. . .I ruined a Poulan chain saw using outboard 50:1 mix, but run my present Poulan on 50:1 outboard mix PLUS 50:1 chainsaw oil mix. That is, I add another 2 oz. of chainsaw oil to each gallon of outboard premix. Smokes a lot, but runs fine at full load.

I would not do that to my Husky or a Stihl.

45Auto

Commander

Any particular reason not to run it in a fuel injected car JB?

My fuel injected Mercruiser 350 recommends running 2 QUARTS of 2-stroke oil in 5 Gallons of gas (a 10:1 ratio) for winterizing every year. Hopefully they're not recommending something that'll hurt the engine. I don't see where adding 3 gallons of 50:1 to whatever is already in the car's gas tank could make any difference at all. It would just be a "mild winterizing" of your cars' motor! :)

Just as a reference point, after hurricane Katrina here in New Orleans when you couldn't get gas within 90 miles for a month, I used the 30 gallons of 50:1 out of my Force 120's tank in my 4 cylinder fuel-injected Saturn. That was 2 years and 40,000 miles ago and it's never had a problem yet. Didn't worry about it freezing up that winter either!! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will just do what I do every other year. Dump in into a 15 gallon drum and use it to clean stuff that I dont clean in the parts washer.
Both my vehicles are diesel as well as the lawn tractor. I could give it to someone else to put in their car, but that's risky too, especially if their engine starts acting up and I just gave them free fuel.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your car has an oxygen sensor that does not like to be coated with oil deposits. That said, pouring a gallon or two of fuel into the tank and topping off the tank with fresh fuel will not hurt anything. It will not bother the injectors. This is a once a year deal -- not a steady diet.

45Auto

Commander

Good point on the oxygen sensor. Forgot that boats don't use them.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Every year I have around three fresh gallons of 50:1 outboard mixed fuel left over. Could this fuel be used in an air cooled engine leaf blower even though the mix is for a water cooled engine? Or is it not worth damaging blower to save a few $$.

I have checked outboard service manuals from 55 to 89 all say good grade of outboard 2 stroke oil for aircooled 2 stroke motors also have read various TCW3 cintainers all mention leaf blowers,chain saws,lawn mowers and similar 2 stroke motors.Your only requirement is be sure ratio is correct.

gss036

Commander

I just burnt up a new Husky chain saw using Penzoil outboard oil in it. That being said, I went back and checked the factory manual and they specifically say "NOT TO USE OUTBOARD OIL". I now use synthetic chain saw oil in my rebuilt saw.
My Mac blower call for 40-1 oil mix.
Burn it in you lawn mower or roto tiller.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wont do any harm in your car if diluted enough with neat gas. I usually run it in my lawn mower and weed wacker. "As is" in the lawn mower (4 stroke) and adjusted to 40:1 in the weed wacker. No issues whatsoever. A little oil in the gas acts as an upper cylinder lubricant in a 4 stroke motor.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have checked outboard service manuals from 55 to 89 all say good grade of outboard 2 stroke oil for aircooled 2 stroke motors also have read various TCW3 cintainers all mention leaf blowers,chain saws,lawn mowers and similar 2 stroke motors.Your only requirement is be sure ratio is correct.

You have a point .. I read the same on many OB oil containers. Castrol being an exception = they tell the truth LOL and they have 2 cycle oil for either water cooled (cold) or air cooled (hot) engines. I think other brands that write different are braging about their oil ... LOL

The rule I know is: OB oil is strickly for OB's and air cooled type oil will do both .. but will have carbon build up on the OB's since it does'nt burn completely, and is NOT re commended for low rpm trolling.

Cheers