Outboard for 26 ft bayliner

Baylinercaptain90

Seaman Apprentice
Im looking for advice on getting a outboard for trolling. I was wondering what horsepower would be good for fishing? And what website or store that isnt a rip off?....thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im looking for advice on getting a outboard for trolling. I was wondering what horsepower would be good for fishing? And what website or store that isnt a rip off?....thanks!
your local mercury dealer (since you are posting in a mercury forum)

any 7.5hp to 9.9hp will be fantastic for trolling

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 26' boat you might want to look for a 20 HP / remote / electric start / power trim / tilt / bracket ( electric ) to raise and lower it with a push of a button.-------Post picture of transom area.-----How are you planning to operate a motor hanging over the back of a 26' boat ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just my thoughts on this…having messes about a bit with auxiliary engines…you could have 100hp on a bracket…but unless it’s mounted properly in terms of height and being able to have the lower unit low enough to be below the hull…it ain’t going to go anywhere. Height and set up is so important. Can’t stress this enough.
Seen loads of boats like this with a bracket bolted on the platform…just useless. You’ll need a bracket then another lowering bracket onto that for it to work properly. All at a height that allows the prop to be in free flowing water from under the hull when it’s down…and at a height that means it won’t have the prop dragging in the water when tilted up and not in use. So shaft length and bracket height are the key things to get spot on. Or it’s just a waste of time.
Once you’ve got that sorted…a good 8-10hp 2 stroke would be ideal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What ya trolling for and where?
Huge difference in need between trolling a pond or the big pond.....trolling pan fish or Bluefin

Baylinercaptain90

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone one that responded,i believe im on the right path just was making sure. 9.9 was my choice to go with .im also trolling for walleye in lake erie and was going with a mount for the swim platform with a long shaft

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks everyone one that responded,i believe im on the right path just was making sure. 9.9 was my choice to go with .im also trolling for walleye in lake erie and was going with a mount for the swim platform with a long shaft
Remember you’ll still need a swivel lowering bracket. Good luck