Outboard engine dynos?

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are there dynometers designed for outboard engines?? And if so, are they common, or just a "racing" shop thing?<br /> Would I likely to be able to find one at a boat/engine dealers shop, and are they used in tuning and diagnostics?<br />And if they are not around>>>WHY NOT??? <br />Thanks for your input, on power output! :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard engine dynos?

yep.<br /> many styles and models. <br /> mine was a custom built IDC model 2003 with counter rotation capeability and 11ft hoses so I could use it mobile in a customers driveway.<br /> land and sea makes a water brake model thats a bit cheaper that works well.<br /> rons marine bought mine at my divorce. that shop now has 3 IDC dyno's.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We adapted one end of a Taylor dyno so we could run ouboard powerheads. That dyno was far from portable, it was in a room all by itself. It was originally set up to run automotive type engines on both sides of the turbine. Because of the way the room was laid out we didn't use one end. We put a 90 degree gear box on it and fabricated a fixture to hold the outboard adaptor plate. That dyno was plenty strong enough, it was rated to stall a 1400 hp motor.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, If I ask my local shops if they can dyno my engine, what should I be looking for & what would a reasonable price be like???<br /> I feel the engine's power band is in question, and would like to confirm its output. I have good compression, spark & clean carbs>>>but I feel the engine is lacking>>>mostly in the lower end.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Depending on what type of dyno they have, I'm not sure if it'll show anything useful as far as bottom end power. Some of them only read out oil pressure and that gets kinda foggy about what is what. <br /><br />I'd rather see you back it in the water with the appropriate test wheel. If it comes up to the rpm in the book, you know the rig is set from the transom back. If it doesnt, we know the problem is within whats bolted on the boat.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I guess I should hunt down someone with the right test prop>>>makes sense. <br /> I was thinking maybe something wrong with internal seals or reed valves would show as flatter torque curve>>> the way bad/weak valve timing on a 4 stroke would flatten the curve.... I guess if its sick it won't come up under the load of the test wheel. <br />I got to stop thinking in terms of V-8 hot rods!<br /> I'm still a few weeks from wetting the boat>>>but its not to early to look for a shop that can diagnose her better.<br /> Dhadley...know any good diagnostic shops up here on Long Island???<br /> Thanks Again<br /> Jim