outboard does not engage into gear

malta

Seaman Apprentice
so, i think its safe to say i have not had a very quiet and relaxing summer. I started off with a fuel starvation problem, which i solved, then with a worn mooring rope which i replaced, then a blocked fuel filter, which i bypassed temporarily.

The latest and final problem is the gears not engaging when i shift the throttle forwards or backwards. the vertical shifting rod appears to move, so it's not a control box or cable problem, so i am thinking its either the rod which has somehow come undone and is not engaging, or something else. This happened quite suddenly without any noise of clashing gears or anything like that, so i am hoping that when the mechanic opens it up, he will not find a mangled shreds of the gear wheels! It does mean i have to tow the boat and have it taken up to the yard which means that summer is over early this year since i need to be out of the water by mid september anyway :(

I am running a 23 foot cruiser with an evinrude 200 hp oceanpro v6.

any thoughts of what the problem may be?

cliff in the Med

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: outboard does not engage into gear

you have two posts of the same thing

malta

Seaman Apprentice
Re: outboard does not engage into gear

Well spotted ... The first one did not mention the engine brand, size... And i know ... I should have edited it..