Outboard Charging.

Baka123

Cadet
On a 1975 85 hp Johnson outboard (85ESL75E), is there something to provide some kind of charge back to the battery??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Charging.

Yes the stator provides the current to charge the battery. Good motor by the way. Just sold my '73 85 in great running condition.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

According to the "ignition system" diagram for your motor ... yes, there is a rectifier .... which converts the AC power to DC ... to charge the battery.

Whether your motor is charging your battery depends on whether the wiring is still intact (and correctly connected) ... and the rectifier is still working properly!

Baka123

Cadet

The reason I ask, this motor currently will not run without a battery, even though it has a pull start on it as well. Found this out the hard way when it left me in the middle of the lake. Put a battery in with a fresh charge and it ran like a dream. I looked at the blow up, of the motor, evinrude has on their site and found the part. Is there a way to test the stator before spending $378 on a new one.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to run it with no battery at all, or you are running it and it is killing the battery?

Baka123

Cadet

It's killing the battery. Not quickly, it will run for 15-20 hours from a full charge until it will no longer keep the engine running. Since there is also a pull start I assumed it was like smaller outboards and run with no battery at all as well.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Killing the battery or not charging the battery, put a meter on it and check the voltage to see if it's charging, 13.5, 14, 15Volts, not 12.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The reason I ask, this motor currently will not run without a battery, even though it has a pull start on it as well. Found this out the hard way when it left me in the middle of the lake. Put a battery in with a fresh charge and it ran like a dream. I looked at the blow up, of the motor, evinrude has on their site and found the part. Is there a way to test the stator before spending $378 on a new one.

Test that rectifier first, putting in a battery backwards will blow the diodes out of it, start with it. There is a good test if you search the board to check, it's a 2 minute test.

Baka123

Cadet

It's not charging. The voltage does not change from not running to running. It just slowly drains the longer you run. I assume because its providing all the power to fire. I am going to see if I can find a service manual for this engine so I can test everything to see what the problem is.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's not charging. The voltage does not change from not running to running. It just slowly drains the longer you run. I assume because its providing all the power to fire. I am going to see if I can find a service manual for this engine so I can test everything to see what the problem is.

Start with this:

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block, the rectifier is bolted to the side of the powerhead and has 3 wires and a seperate ground wire. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray,
then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again.
Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity.