Outboard Casing Corrosion

Rapson

Seaman
I am looking to buy a boat with a Yamaha 140hp 2 stroke attached. I believe it is late 80's or early 90's. The boat spent a lot of time in the water and has a fair amount of corrosin on the leg.

As far as I can tell Yamaha had a paint issue around this time and the corrosion is only on the outside. I have found a few Yamaha's had an issue with the exhaust corroding but this is restricted to 4 strokes from around 2000.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of corrosion? Would it be a just a matter of cleaning it up properly and painting of is something more seriously wrong?

Attachments

• SANY0876.jpg
    SANY0876.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0877.jpg
    SANY0877.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outboard Casing Corrosion

Really can't see much from your too small photos. The thing you need to worry about is the fact that they had shift rod corrosion problems in that time frame. There is no way to tell the condition of it either until it just breaks. It is a major repair to get it replaced. If you have a lot of corrosion on the leg, personally I would pass unless the motor is almost free. The shift rod repair can run $1000 or more !

Rapson

Seaman
Re: Outboard Casing Corrosion

Cheers Bowhuntrrl
I have made the photos a bit bigger but I dont think that will help the corrosion!
I do like the hull attached to the outboard and would intend to repower in the near future and use the existing outboard as a new anchor. Just got to get it at the right price now.