Ouch! Olive drab aluminum boat scalding my fatness

tony_cliffy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of those 20' aluminum crestliner utility boats (basically a really big jonboat) and it is your typical olive drab color. I fished all day long Sunday and that thing got hot! My thigh hit that hot metal and I almost cried like a baby. I'm getting a bimini top but would still like to paint the boat a cooler color. I assume it takes a special paint because the current paint is considered non-skid.<br /><br />Is there paint a local auto body shop can spray on my boat? I don't live near any boat repair shops. What kind of paint do I ask for?<br /><br />Thanks!

voxmorgan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Ouch! Olive drab aluminum boat scalding my fatness

If you are painting just the inside of the boat you can use your basic automotive enamel paint or a good 2-stage paint (color / Clearcoat). If you want to paint both the inside and out I would recommend using an epoxy-paint such as awlgrip. The epoxy paint is more expensive, but if you plan on painting the outside it will wear better than the others.

crab bait

Captain

epoxy paint is tough but fades ugly quickly .. uv is bad on epoxy paint..<br /><br />no matter what paint you use,, YOU HAVE TO USE, a special primmer for aluminum .. a zinc primmer.. <br /><br />if not,,any/all paint will peel right off..

tony_cliffy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do I need to use a primer if my goal is to shoot the new paint over top the existing nonskid paint on there? This is a new boat so I'm not too keen on doing a strip/repaint job - hoping to find a low budget solution to change the color without making it look like crap.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My seats have a dark blue section in the middle, and let me tell you it gets hot unattended in the direct sunlight!!!!!!!! I know all about burning that section of baby fat!!! <br /><br />If nothing else get a fizzy can of white and make the dark green go away!!!!

crab bait

Captain

no,, you only need this primer if'n it's bare ,or bare spots , or on any scratches.. <br />if it's intacted.. no primer needed..