Other Parents opinions

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Other Parents opinions

My parents were pretty strick until a finsihed high school at 18 and then they relaxed. No more curfew. I had a full time job and paid all my bills, but no rent. But I couldnt do whatever I wanted in their house. They still had some rules.<br /><br />I'll probably do the same thing with my kids. You cant control and protect them forever.<br /><br />The reason 18 is the magic number is because at that age, he can legally do anything he wants, and parents are no longer responsible. His mess, he cleans it up.<br /><br />Ken

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I can agree with you, but Ican agree with the kid too. I'm 30 so kinda in the middle. I was allowed to start driving at 14 all by myself. At 17 I could drive to Waco which was 45 miles away. Right before I got out of high school my folks drove me to Houston to check out a school. 5 months later I was driving in H-town. I had never driven in Houston before so it was a shock. I adapted if only because I had no other choice. I will add though that at 16 I was going to Dallas to pick up motors for my dads shop. I never did get to do any overnighters though. "Camping" (which really means drunken pasture parties) was allowed some.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, 18 isn't the magic number. It's about responsibility.<br /><br />It's a choice, really. My car, my house, my gas, they all come with my rules, regardless of age. The old cliche of "as long as your living under my roof, you'll obey my rules) applies.<br /><br />When you are responsible enough to support yourself, THAT is when you are responsible enough to make your own rules.

D

DJ

I agree with wilkin. I made trips like that when I was 16/17.<br /><br />However, my parents knew where I was going, who I was going to be with, and knew the people I would be staying with.<br /><br />EF,<br /><br />There are allot unanswered questions in your son's plan.

ehenry

Commander

I trust my boy. I really do. He's made several road trips on his own. Taking his girlfirend to college ballgames and such..gotten lost a couple times, called me and got back on route. <br /><br />He's been driving on his own since he was 15. He is a responsible youngun too. the reason I know this is all the guys that he use to run with have all had brushes with the law for one reason or the other. He's running with a completely different crowd now and I dont see their names in the "News of Record" ie: who got arrested section of the paper like I have the bunch he use to hang with. I've come to realize thats the reason he doesn't hang with his old crew like he use to.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately, you are the only one to decide. If in the past he has not disappointed you...why do you think know he will not use good judgement? My parents moved from AL to MA 2 weeks before the end of my Junior year in HS. Due to the fact that I have shown good judgement, they put me up in a hotel for 1 month so I can finish the school year and then drive up with girlfriend. Every child is different. You have to know them and trust them - if they deserve it. <br /><br />-JustMrWill

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

EF,<br /><br />It is a difficult dilemma isn't it? Wanting to trust a child and wanting to do everything in your power to protect him or here at the same time. So many of the replies here echo the over-riding concept of sheltering a loved one from harm should make your decision a little easier on you.<br /><br />Of course, that's little consolation for your boy who is convinced, no doubt, that he is fully grown. Maybe you could offer an olive branch by suggesting something where you extend your trust a little more but not to where he is asking right now. It's just a suggestion.<br /><br />I wish my parents had been as concerned for me at 17 as you obviously are for your son. You must be a good Dad.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Thats why they call it 17 and call us parents. You made the same call I would, and have made. Rather be the target of a temporary angry kid, then the bereaved dad of a fallen teen. He will catch on when your grandson asks him the same in 20 years. :cool:

ehenry

Commander

UPDATE: When I got home from work lastnight he was gone. He'd gotten in touch with his best friend Jake and they went to the movies Jackson lastnight. He spent the night with him and got up and went hunting on Jake's place this morning. It's 8:15 a.m. and he called me just a minute ago to tell me he had a 200 lb. 9-point on the ground! ALSO, on his way out to Jake's to pick him up for the movies he stopped by a drug store to pick something up and got hired for a job as a tech in the pharmacy and doing anything else in the store they need him to!!<br /><br />Who says Daddy dont know best! ! ! :D :) :cool:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> UPDATE: When I got home from work lastnight he was gone. He'd gotten in touch with his best friend Jake and they went to the movies Jackson lastnight. He spent the night with him and got up and went hunting on Jake's place this morning. It's 8:15 a.m. and he called me just a minute ago to tell me he had a 200 lb. 9-point on the ground! ALSO, on his way out to Jake's to pick him up for the movies he stopped by a drug store to pick something up and got hired for a job as a tech in the pharmacy and doing anything else in the store they need him to!!<br /><br />Who says Daddy dont know best! ! ! :D :) :cool:
Sometimes they SHOCK us. :)

KaGee

Admiral

Great news EF!<br /><br />He's forgotten about the trip already.

ehenry

Commander

Just got a pic of the deer....14 wide 22 in beams 2 tines 9 in. 225 pounds. Those boys already got it skinned, quartered and are headed to the proccessor with it ! ! ! All before 9:00 a.m.<br /><br />They amaze me sometimes.

SoulWinner

Commander

EF,<br /><br />I have a 17 year old son too. Tom has been a real hand full in the past, buthe has really straightened up. Still, I wouldn't let him take off either. Even good kids with good intensions can get into trouble. You son is fortunate that to have a dad that cares. My son is an only child, so I know what you mean about holding on tight. Sometimes being a good parent means being a hard a$$. I was very pleased when I read your update on the sitch; sounds like you got a dang good boy.

mattttt25

Commander

i'd make sure he understands why you said no. in my opinion, too many parents forget this part.<br /><br />if it's really important to him, he'll provide you a phone number of the adult he would be staying with, and the friend's parents' to confirm. if i talked to the frend's cousin and parents and it sounded legit, i'd let him go. it's only a tank of gas.

ehenry

Commander

Mattt, my friend, this went down yesterday. He's glad he stayed home now. He got a new job making more money, he went hunting with his best friend this morning and killed a nice buck. I'd say he's over it....probably even forgotten all about it. OH BTW...only a tank of gas in his truck is $50 bucks when its close to empty.

ehenry

Commander

Here's a pic of the deer he got this morning. <br /><br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=43562 <br /><br /><br />
showphoto.php

Carphunter

Commander

Congrats to your son E.F. Ain't nothin like a Big Buck to help one get their priorities straight. :) <br /><br />.......and thats a nice one.

ehenry

Commander

He starts his new job this morning...I'm interested to hear how it goes this evening when I got home.