Other boating Forums................

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mod EDIT
I regularly visit the other forums, but in the last few days it has become unavailable. Either it "can't be found" or more recently, when I click on the link for it, it opens a different site called something along the lines of Motorboats and Outboards. This site seems to be more advertising orientated and even trying to visit the forums, just send s you around in a circle.

​Does anybody know what's up with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't help you with that forum. Is iboats not practical enough for you? :smile:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dont know whats up w the other forus you frequent, but this one seems to work pretty well and has LOTS more traffic, topics and replies then any other boat forum I use.

So I removed the details of another forum, that isnt working anyway, since the generous host of THIS forum does everything imaginable to maintain an awesome resource.

aspeck

Staff member
So I removed the details of another forum, that isnt working anyway, since the generous host of THIS forum does everything imaginable to maintain an awesome resource.
AND does it FOR FREE! :horn:

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't disagree with any of the above, this is indeed a very fine forum. It's just that I was following a few posts on "the other forum" and wondered if anybody knows why or how, a forum just disappears.

​Thanks for the responses and apologies if I inadvertently upset any protocols.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome to iboats, the greatest forum on the WWW.

If the "other" forums just disappeared, DON'T GO THERE. You probably have a virus on your computer. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I lucked out and stumbled across the best forum right off the bat !! ;)
It's the folks that make it great !! And the host !!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Send a PM/E-mail to Admin on the "other" forum. Or, just stay on this forum since it's obviously working....... :) If your seeing iboat ads here, it's because iboats is an online retail boating store that just happens to have a forum...

jbcurt00

Staff member
.....wondered if anybody knows why or how, a forum just disappears.

Forums run on computers and servers. Hardware/software failure, software/hardware upgrades, changing from 1 host server to another server are all possible causes.

Add in that none of that is free and running a forum has operating costs and it could be a monetary problem.

In the case of the forum you asked about, perhaps the same title magazine is changing their model and the forum is no longer going to be supported/sponsored by the magazine.

I'm active on another forum, when the owner moved from 1 platform to another server platform, he maintained both sites for about 18mo before deciding that the old site needed to be phased out. Even w out having much if any traffic, just keeping the old site archived and searchable was expensive.

It is now gone, all post and pix from almost a decade of forum usage, archived 1 day, completely erased the next.

bassman284

Commander
On Thursday a racing forum I frequent went down about 9:00 am because "somebody in Atlanta dug without calling". Might be related to what OP is talking about.

Posted by the Admin when he was asked what he had been doing all day:
"Rebuilding tables and indexes.

About 700 of them, one damn click at a time
gomer.gif

All because some yahoo in Atlanta didn't call before he dug?

And this sixteen year-old database is basically a jenga tower eight miles high..."

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On Thursday a racing forum I frequent went down about 9:00 am because "somebody in Atlanta dug without calling". Might be related to what OP is talking about.

And this sixteen year-old database is basically a jenga tower eight miles high..."

So that's why I had no internet all that time! :grumpy:

iboats learned that back ups are important back in 2001. That was when the forum lost almost everything when the BBS forum software bellied up due to some glitch. Under the VBulletin era, some things have been lost for various version compatibility reasons - But most were corrected quickly.