Oregon to charge per-mile road usage tax

Homerr

Commander
Oregon and other states are considering the idea to track your car's mileage with a tracking chip and/or GPS system.<br /><br />Many of you probably heard about this, but just in case, here's some links (I'm trying to find up-to-date web sites):<br /><br /> http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jan/gee20030102017979.htm <br />(old link, but it gives an idea what they'e up to)<br /><br /><br /> http://www.odot.state.or.us/ruftf/pdfs/090602PrefMileage.pdf <br /><br /> http://www.odot.state.or.us/ruftf/status.html <br /><br /> http://www.odot.state.or.us/ruftf/pdfs/04may14impPlan.pdf <br /><br /> :mad: <br /><br />All I can say is... OVER MY DEAD BODY will they put any kind of tracking device in my cars!<br /><br />Oh but they say it won't be used to track WHERE you are, etc... It's just to track how many miles you've driven.<br /><br />What part of B.S. can't they understand?<br />It's already been proven that On-Star has been used to track cars involved in crimes. Who knows what else they track.<br /><br />So what happens if I drive from point A to Z in a shorter amount of time than I suppose to? Yep...My ticket is in the mail!<br /><br /><br />There suppose to be some kind of test next year.<br /><br />They are saying these tracking devices will go into newer cars since the older ones won't be compatible.<br /><br />This will get interesting....<br /><br />Guess I better get that old wagon out and get it tooled up!<br /><br /><br />H.

Trent

Captain
Re: Oregon to charge per-mile road usage tax

Cover the antenna and your done~ Will not happen. Too many folks are not that stupid! I hope! :)

KaGee

Admiral

That giant sucking sound you will shortly hear is caused by the vacuum of all the folks rushing out of the state.<br /><br />When will liberals learn that nothing is static...for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. <br /><br />I feel for you Homerr.

Homerr

Commander

Read some of the .pdf files I've shown above... It talks about what they'll do if you don't pay.<br /><br />Collections by private agency, discontinue your vehicle renewal etc...<br /><br />Here's another thought... What happens if you carry a gas can over to the pump? <br />My boat needs gas, or my lawn mower? What then?<br /><br />This is just another dips*** idea by our worthless state government.<br /><br />And watch out because ALL states are looking at this... For some reason Oregon is making a bigger deal out of it.<br /><br />Probably because we told them a few elections ago to read our lips: NO MORE TAXES!<br /><br />H.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

don't worry about the lawn mower, theres talk about banning gas lawnmowers, too pollutting.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I sure hope Texas isn't thinking about such a commie-pinko idea.<br /><br />The streets of Austin would run knee deep in red. :mad:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

That goes double for here in Idaho JB...I can hear it now, a new state song..."Blood in the streets of Boise" <br />Homerr, you sure are lucky to live in Oregon. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This is just stupid.<br /><br />Never mind the fact that it is invasion of privacy.<br /><br />Why is taxing people differently any better? Tax is Tax, no matter how you get it.<br /><br />Plus, think of all the overhead for all the billing, montoring, and equipment.<br /><br />Just stupid.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

We've sort of got that already. In N.S.W. the big roadtrains try to break the sound barrier on the long remote stretches of highway so the powers that be erected overhead gantrys that take pics of the trucks - 100 km down the road it takes another pic and compares the two. If the truck gets to the second gantry too quickly......the fine's in the mail. Its fully automated and apart from the initial setup costs its virtually cost free.<br /><br />They don't necessarily need to install transducers in each car. They can use visual recognition (number plates) from one fixed point to another. Similar to drive through tollways.<br /><br />Aldo

LubeDude

Admiral

I Emailed them a few months ago about this, they are allready testing it to the tune of a few million dollars we have gladly given them to squander. I told them that if I had to pay to do this to my car, they could watch as I physically removed it from "MY CAR" after leaving the facility, and that there was "No way in H E L L". That was ever going to happen.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Somebody, somewhere already has a blocking device to alter or interfer with a chip. The sad part is we pay these buttwipes to come up with this insanity. I'd like to put a chip in them and track every trip through the buffet line. :mad: :mad:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) And you call us "TAXACHUSETTS!!!!" :) :)

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

No doubt they will exempt all govt. vehicles.<br /><br />This weed seed of an idea will now start sprouting up in other places.<br /><br />And they will try to use the same old (but effective) saftey, envoiromental, for the children, type hooks in order to pass the law.<br /><br />Boats will be next. <br /><br />Another example of how far left the lefties are.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> No doubt they will exempt all govt. vehicles.<br /><br />This weed seed of an idea will now start sprouting up in other places.<br /><br />And they will try to use the same old (but effective) saftey, envoiromental, for the children, type hooks in order to pass the law.<br /><br />Boats will be next. <br /><br /><br /> Glad somebody other than me seen the "For the Children" appeal. Indiana uses it for every hair brained political plan. :mad: <br /><br />Another example of how far left the lefties are.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The understanding I had from what I read about it was that it would be in new cars only. In the end, it'll never fly. It is counter productive to trying to create more fuel efficient vehicles. Why should someone go out and buy a fuel efficient vehicle if they are just going to be charged more because they drive it more than a gas hog. If it does ever go nationwide, we may see an increase in bicycle sales. If they want, they can get rid of tax on gasoline and just charge road tax. I would be fine with that, I don't drive that far anyway.

crab bait

Captain

you can 'foil' them..<br />just wrap your vehicle up..<br />an also don't forget your tinfoil hat.. <br /><br />they wont know your frequentcy... :) ..

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

If that comes to pass, then maybe we could all drive our cars into the Boston harbour :eek: :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

a use tax(per mile) vs flat tax(by the gallon)guess one would not be motivated to buy electric cars.or efficiemt ones,or shut down idleing motors. the fuel economy of deisles might be in jepordy, could set back research on fuel cells,

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. My fear is that they would levy this new tax and not remove the fuel taxes. Have you ever seen a tax go away?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hey Elmer!!! :) you don't have to drive into the harbor, "just drive through the new mullti million dollar tunnel" :p Mandatory equipment is life jackets and snorkels for every passenger!!! :D ;) :cool: