Ordered a Nissan 50 TLDI- altitude issues

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Howdy...<br /><br />I have been lurking here for a couple of years pulling in information (and occasional mis-information)and have finally decided to start contributing to the community here. <br /><br />I finally decided to order a new boat (a Smokercraft Stinger 161) and a new outboard. My favorite outboard of all time was the Merc/ Mariner 4 cyl, 2 str., 50 hp- and I would have killed to have another but...that is all history. <br /><br />Based upon what I have seen here on these boards and thru chat with other owners, I ordered a new '04 Nissan 50 TLDI. After ordering the motor, I was made aware of some issues that could effect potential owners of Nissan/ Tohatsu TLDI's. <br /><br />Oddly enough, Nissan/ Tohatsu TLDI outboards have a limited ability to compensate for altitude. This is true of '04 and previous TLDI's but should be upgraded in the '05 models. <br /><br />In my case, living in Helena, MT there is great potential of fishing in a very wide range of altitudes from 2000 feet to 6000 feet. For flat landers, this is not an issue, for people in the western states, this can be huge. <br /><br />Nissan confirmed with me today that in my motor the ECU has been mapped to operate from 2000-6000 feet. If it had not been remapped prior to shipping, it is likely that it would not have performed or even idled at our altitude. It is certainly a programmable item, but it is important that potential customers be aware of this before they order from their dealer and especially from the internet. <br /><br />Fortunately, I have a local dealer, and he was able to compete very well again the internet sites in price and has a great deal of knowledge with Tohatsu/ Nissan TLDI's (he owns a resort locally and uses Tohatsu in his rental fleet).<br /><br />So, I know there are not alot of us Nissan/ Tohatsu owners out there on these boards, but thought it would be good to pass this information on in case someone in the future is thinking of purchasing one of these TLDI's. <br /><br />This concludes my post #1...