OptiMax 200HP thoughts

tavares

Cadet
I'm looking at a Key West boat with a 2001 OptiMax 200HP. It looks good, but I haven't made the 6 hour trip to see it yet. Owner advises it runs well and computer has been replaced a few years ago. I've contacted a local dealer that will "check" it and download what might be on the computer at this point. I have tried to find some general consensus on this particular engine. Seems a lot of the reviews and opinions tend to be quite scattered with 135, 150 and 225 HP opinions. Some of the 200 HP reviews seem to indicate that this was somewhat of a transition engine, but no particulars... So, I'd like some thoughts on this engine. Should I avoid it and move on? If it's still running after 14 years, can I assume it's not really a lemon? Anything in particular I should be looking at? What's my worst-case scenario? If I look at it, a compression test is a given. Anything else? Thoughts, opinions and facts would be greatly appreciated

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Motors don't die of old age. How many hours on it?

tavares

Cadet
Thanks for response. Motor supposedly has about 200 hours...but that might be since second computer. Hope dealer can help me with that. If no issues with his evaluation and a good run on a sea trial, what else should I be looking for? And perhaps most importantly, what should I get replaced (maintenance type stuff) IF I choose to bite the bullet on this? Thanks again in advance to those of you who can help.