Opinions

tiritilli

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting the carbs on my 1970 60hp evinrude fixed for $200 to $225 does this sound about right<br />Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions

Its really hard to tell since we don't know what is being done, parts involved, labor hours, etc.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

sounds alittle high to me why dont you get a manual and do it yourself its not too hard

alcan

Commander

Hi Mike<br />Shops rates vary from place to place. In my area I would say a certified shop would charge $60 per hr up. This is for all types of mechanical work. It costs a lot of money to operate a shop. Don't forget you are paying for trained techs. You also get a gaurentee. I would concider it lucky to find a shop that even knows enough about your motor to do the work, let alone take the job. Most shops won't even concider working on motors as old as your's. This is not to say your motor is no good. This just means that with todays rates it doesn't take too many hours before the labor costs exceed the market value of the motor. It is almost impossible for a shop to flat-rate a job on older motors. All the nuts and bolts can be corroded, parts can be more difficult to find, etc. So the shop looses money on these jobs. If they don't make money they don't exist. It costs just as much, if not more, to repair an older model as opposed to a newer model. This is why most of us guy's that run older motors take them to the shops where the labor rate is less expencive (our own shops). Parts cost everyone about the same. At our own shop you get no gaurntee, on the other hand there is no waiting. I don't know if that is too much money in your area. I know where I'm at you can't get anything done for much less.