Opinions Wanted-(alum. boat)

Brimauster

Cadet
Hello all, I'm looking for opinions on a Mirrocraft aluminum boat. Particularly the 16' Holiday. My daughter and I have been bitten by the bug and we want, no... I should say need to get out on the water. Just want to bust around some lakes and swim, fish, explore... I've done some research on aluminum boats and they seem like the perfect setup for my needs... ( I really want a Starcraft Islander, but can't afford it right now, and have no way to tow it). I only have a Honda CRV (1500# tow limit) so it has to be on the small side of the spectrum. Any opinions on Mirrocraft's quality,good, bad, or ugly, I need to know. Thanks.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Opinions Wanted-(alum. boat)

I have a '77 Mirrocraft aluminum deep V 14'. I have to say the quality is very high as far as I'm concerned. The previous owners battered the hull with years of weather exposure, and quite franky, the worst trailering I've ever heard of (it literally travelled on exposed grade 8 bolts sticking through the bunks for at least two seasons in western NY). Through all that it never popped a seam or rivet as far as I can tell, and there's no welds or patches on it. The most remarkable part though, is that the bolts it rode on never managed to work thier way through the hull, just left gouges that I filled in. Under fresh paint it looks new.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Swing on down and take a peek at the one thread in the mirrocraft forum. Seems people are happy with them. Personally, I haven't seen an aluminum boat I didn't like, except for the occasional one where the owner cut it apart.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My daughter and son-in-law own my previous boat which is a MirroCraft ProStriker. I bought it new in 1996 and ran it until it was replaced with a bigger Alumacraft Navigator in 2004. It was a great boat, never a problem. They've been around for years. Are they in the Lund/Alumacraft/Crestliner category? No - and they are not in the same price range either -- but that does not mean they are not a good value.

RobDar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mirrocraft has a good reputation.
I personally feel...two very important things to consider in buying a boat is the warranty and above all the reputation of the dealer. A bad dealer can make any boat a bad experience to own.