Opinions on this boat? ..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Opinions on this boat? ..

Check his feedback. He sold a boat and there was positive feedback.<br /><br />Check to make sure the title and trailer reg is clear.<br /><br />Ken

SCO

Lieutenant

I'd be leary because it could be a "project" boat. I bought a boat of the same vintage and the stringers and transom were shot and I replaced them. The internal gas tank also leaked. I knew someone that burned up his boat due to a gas leak. It probably depends on how the boat has been kept, drained and aired out. I've got a good boat now, but it was more than I was bargaining for. On the other hand to buy a 70's boat with the intention of replacing transom, stringers, floor, and polishing everything is a great way to get a good boat. In that case you just make sure the fiberglass is good and the engine is good. Unless this boat was garage kept I bet there will be rot under the floor, bottom of the transom and around the transom holes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If it floats and the engine turns over $1000 would be fair. If it don't leak and the engine actually fires up and the trailer ain't broke then it ought to be worth $1500. No rot and engine is tuned up, good compression, bilge & deptfinder work, should be worth at least $2000. just my un-expert opinion.<br /><br />no opportunity to inspect; I wouldn't go much over $1000.<br /><br />oh, these all assume clear title to boat and trailer, and motor if applicable.

ndemge

Commander

Bummer... was hoping it was next door so you could take a look for me.<br /><br />Oh well.

ndemge

Commander

Well, the winning bidder was unable to get the boat, so I got it.<br /><br />Picking it up this weekend.<br /><br />Lester,,, are you east or west of Irvine?<br />Just wondering if you are on the way to go get it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Congrats! Don't forget your trailer first-aid kit, maybe a grease gun, roll of 14ga. wire, wire stripper/crimper, spare tire if you got one (it might fit), the right size of hitch ball, electrical tape, duct tape, what else, guys?<br /><br />Looks like a fair deal to me - good luck!<br /><br />jtw

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I gotta know, Ndemge.<br /><br />Why would the responses you would get on the Boats Forum, from pretty much the same people, not be good enough for you?<br /><br />If someone doesn't look there they probably don't know much about boats.<br /><br />How come??

ndemge

Commander

There are some that only lerk in this area... varried opinions from some that may not see... guess it was braking the rules :) <br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> I gotta know, Ndemge.<br /><br />Why would the responses you would get on the Boats Forum, from pretty much the same people, not be good enough for you?<br /><br />If someone doesn't look there they probably don't know much about boats.<br /><br />How come??

SpinnerBait_Nut

So once again, us basement dwellers get brought down.<br /><br />Now we know nothing about boats. :eek:

ndemge

Commander

You know it SBN.... the man bringing us down.<br /><br />..... SBN... You should come visit st. louis this weekend and pick my boat up on the way :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Sorry Noel, have plans already.<br />Just come on a little farther and see us.

SCO

Lieutenant

Ndemge, you've done it now! I do like the looks of the interior and the hull shape. Keep us posted. Why dont you start and maintain a thread in the project boats section to keep us informed of your progress, cleanup, successes etc?

ndemge

Commander

Will do.<br /><br />Will find out this weekend how much of a project it really is.<br /><br />All fiberglass, only reason I'd buy a boat of this age, as replacing a floor and transom is not in the budget.<br /><br />From what I can tell, most of my work will be cosmetic, but soon we shall see.

JB

Now, why would you say that, SBN?<br /><br />We have a forum for asking questions about boats, people who have useful information to offer about boats go there to help.<br /><br />Getting "varied opinions" from people who don't go to the Boats forum to offer advice strikes me as funny. I wanted to know why he thought opinions of apparent non-boaters would be useful.<br /><br />Don't be so paranoid. :)

oddjob

Commander

I dont get your point JB. Your making alot of assumptions here..and just adding injury to insult.......paraniod?...umm.