Opinions on Seacast

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on Seacast

I used it in my transom . No complaints thus far but a little pricey . Never ever have to worry about rot again . They say you can just chainsaw the old wood out . I did that for 90% of it but I wanted the best possible bond so I cut the inside skin out . This allowed a very good cleaning /grinding of all areas . Then I put a fresh layer of csm on the inside and used home made spacers out of pb and reglassed the inner skin in then poured . :cool:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

plenty of people on here have used it. many have found it to be cheaper and faster to repair with wood. do a search

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

The method that sphelps used was probably the best. It is terribly hard to get all of the wood off of the glass from the original transom. I considered one of the alternate transom compounds, but ended up using plywood since my hull was already laid open and I had access to sand out the entire transom surface.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It depends on how badly you intend to neglect your boat after you put all that hard work into fixing/restoring it. Are you going to leave it outdoors uncovered and exposed to the elements?

You can Seacast the transom and stringers, and Coosa board your deck and never have to worry about wood rot again... but if you neglect your boat and leave it exposed to the elements the sun will eat your vinyl, carpet, and degrade your paint/gelcoat. The rain, snow, and ice will do the freeze thaw deterioration/damage to everything that's exposed and your floatation foam will saturate again.

Keep your boat covered or garaged when not in use and you won't have to worry about wood rot or any of the other bad stuff that happens when you neglect it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well you do the math......... transom length x width x height = ??? divided by 231 and that will give you the number of gallons you need.
On the boat I am doing.........there was not an inside fiberglass layer and I just opted to go conventional and use wood (but I also used epoxy resin - not polyester)

If you are talking about your 1980 tri hull with a 50 hp motor (I am not sure since you have stuff all in individual threads and scattered.....) I will suggest that it is NOT worth the money. As tempting as the product is...... it will NOT add value to an older boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

One thing you should think about is shipping cost. I live close enough to pick it up so no extra cost. You surely can do it cheaper with wood but that's up to you. In my opinion if I was looking at buying a boat and I had a choice of one with a transom that has no and never will have rot and one that may be already bad. I think that should add at least some value .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's my take on it. I agree with JNG. It's all about Care and Maintenance. A conventional Wood Transom, that is properly maintained and cared for, will last indefinetly. As long as water does not penetrate there's no reason for it to deteriorate. The composite "Pour In" transom material makes sense in some boats where getting to the transom is a real PITA, i.e. Tub Constructed boats, like Whalers and some Bass Boats but in most of the vintage ski boats IMHO it just is not worth the added expense unless you plan on keeping the boat forever. If the boat will not/can not be covered then by all means us the best materials you can afford to make it care and maintenance free. I choose to do the former not the latter. My wood/glass transom is 50+ years old and still going strong but she is covered at all times. With continued care and maintenance I see no reason for it not to continue.

Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain

I used it in my transom . No complaints thus far but a little pricey . Never ever have to worry about rot again . They say you can just chainsaw the old wood out . I did that for 90% of it but I wanted the best possible bond so I cut the inside skin out . This allowed a very good cleaning /grinding of all areas . Then I put a fresh layer of csm on the inside and used home made spacers out of pb and reglassed the inner skin in then poured . :cool:

Same here. Repaired my transom with it and just cut out the inside skin and made a new one. It is more expensive than repairing the transom with wood, but it is solid as a rock and I don't have to worry about a leak ruining the work I just did. I'd recommend it if you plan on keeping the boat for a longer period of time. No downsides to it that I've seen other than cost.