Opinions on '99 115 Evinrude?

skategoat

Seaman
I know this is very subjective but I wonder if I could get some opinions on this motor. It's a V-4, traditional 2-stroke. I've been leaning towards a direct injection 2-stroke but this particular boat is used and a very good deal.<br /><br />My concern is noise level, smoke and fuel consumption. How bad is the non-DI 2-stroke on these factors?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Opinions on '99 115 Evinrude?

To Outboard Non-repair

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The DIs are definately quieter, but I think the carbed ones are more mechanically friendly. Anyone can work on a carbed 2-stroke. At wide open, fuel consumption is about the same. As long as it's a 60 degree block and not the 90 degree block, I'd go for it. Not that there's anything wrong with the 90s, but the 60s are much nicer.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

WillyBWright Hi Would you tel me why is the 60 degree block better than the 90 degree? thanks in advance. J,C,

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tend to disagree somewhat with WillyB. While it's true the DIs are quieter, I am not so certain the carbureted two-strokes are "friendlier". Most active technicians prefer the new technology, for it's ability to self-diagnose & it's ability to report on issues it encounters. <br /><br />Fuel consumption however, is nowhere near the same. Even more so with oil. The new DIs from Mercury & Evinrude either rival or outperform the I/Os in just about every category!<br /><br />Mercury, just this week announced the end of the line for several two-stroke engines, including a few very popular EFI model V-6s. Anyone not including info like this in their descision making process is a fool.

JB

In general, I think DI engines are superior in economy, noise and reliability (with exceptions) to carbed engines. The carbed engines are easier to work on and it's a good thing.<br /><br />Exceptions: Any Ficht engine built before the Bombardier era that hasn't been updated is suspect. Early Opti-Max were also prone to break. Yamaha, Suzuki and Tohatsu got it right the first time.<br /><br />'99 was a bad year for QC at OMC, but a carbed 115 that is 5 years old has probably had any assembly and QC problems corrected.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

skategoat

Seaman

I always seem to find great boats with not so great engines. I'll keep looking.

rabidfish

Back to the Original question...<br /><br />My concern is noise level, smoke and fuel consumption. How bad is the non-DI 2-stroke on these factors? <br /><br />The traditioanl 2 strokes are the worst as far as noise, smoke & fuel economy.

rabidfish

If the boat is what you're loking for...<br />Buy it, you cam always repower it with a DI engine.<br /><br />I am certain that JB or Willy will buy your old one... ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I know this goes against the grain but give a carbed motorany day. with minimal maint it will out last anyDFI on the market today. the 300 and 250 yams are worthless. most the FICHT motors wont make 800 hours as well as the optipops. and the maint on them is rather expensive. parts break. they all do. the HPDI electric pump and the EFI pumps are now 700 dollars a pop. the filters are 90 dollars and the VST gaskets are 32.<br /> as far as the puter diagnostics most suck. they tell you what aint broke :) :) . they dont allow for much in the way of active tests. so far there is no good way to test an injector other than boxing it up and sending it out or just replacing it.<br /> I reccomended DFI to a lot of folks in the past. no longer.<br /> until someone can make one that will reliably run past 1500 hours then I will look again.<br />the only problems I ever saw with the cross flow v4's in the late ninties was piston ring failures due to the piston ring locating pin. sometime in the mid-late 90's it changed from the bottom of the groove to the top and the ring could get past it. which is why I quit usuing OMC pistons and went with sierra on those motors.<br /> good luck and keep posting but if you buy a DFI keep you wallet handy.

JB

Have you considered a 4 stroke?<br /><br />Quiet, economical, reliable, proven technology. Zero smoke, zero stink, etc, etc.<br /><br />This is not intended as a troll, but it may well end up looking like one when the anti-4S folks start.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Well I have a 23' CC with twin 1987 carbed cross flow V4s sittin on the back. On a typical boating day I will burn $25-50 in fuel. This provides lotsa fun for the wife and I plus another couple and/or my kids if they are in town for the entire day. If I take my wife to dinner (Outback type place & happy hour) I can drop $50 easy just for one dinner for two. So for us the cost of fuel is not an issue.<br /><br />Yes older two cycles do smoke a bit and definately more than DIs but once you are in gear the smoke is behind you. I suppose the older motors are more noisy but that never bothered me.<br /><br />I also like the idea of knowing that I can tackle a repair or rebuild myself without having to take my wallet out, turn it upside down and shake vigerously. A year and a half ago I got a quote on repowering my rig with a new 200 Yammy. Installed with bracket, cables & guages the quote was for $15,000. I got a "factory new" rebuild on one of mine for $3000 (I had a shop do it)- - thank you very much. Now I am thinking of buying a "scrap" motor and doing a rebuild myself to have a complete spare motor sittin in the garage.

BillP

Captain

I'm with SoLittle and Rodbolt on this one. I like the simplicity of carbs and fuel burn isn't a concern usually.<br /><br />If smoke is a big problem go with synthetic oil in your 2 stroke or do a 4 stroke. I bought a 4 stroke to eliminate the smoke and get better range but will likely buy a 2 stroke BombRude next time...if they are still being made.