Opinions & experiences on '89 Johnson 200

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
I've been offered a Four Winns Sundowner, approx 21', with a Johnson 200 from 1989.<br /><br />The boat is some 4 hrs. away so before going there I've asked the seller for all info, pics etc.<br /><br />From this forum the motor appears to be OK if compression is fair, the gear engages OK, cooling works and the overall performance is fine.<br /><br />A little thirsty, maybe?<br /><br />Any other info or things to look for is highly appreciated - even on the boat.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions & experiences on '89 Johnson 200

Set up properly those are very good motors. They make lots of torque. Just make sure that its set up to get as close to 6000 rpm as possible with an average load. If youre down in the low to mid 5K range, the motor isnt producing as much as it could.<br /><br />Just make sure its a 1989. Those motors from 1988 to 1992 were 3 liter motors and had SLOW and Quick Start. In 1986 and 87 they were 2.7 liter and didnt have the extra features. Still a good motor but you want to make sure of what youre buying. The only reason I say that is because I just looked at a Hydra Sport that was supposed to have a 1990 225 (same as what youre looking at) and it turned out to be an 86-87. Still a good motor but not worth as much -- to me anyway.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Opinions & experiences on '89 Johnson 200

Moving to Outboard Discussion (non-repair)