Opinions: 67 Johnson Sea Horse for $200.00

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I answered an ad for a "Free Boat" on CL, I'm going to see it tomorrow. After a couple emails, he tells me he has a 67 Johnson Sea Horse "that goes with it" for $200.

Now, I wasn't intending on buying a motor. I know nothing about the condition, any way this is good deal? The boat is a 62 Tompson, so it not an exact match.

Opinions (especially in the next 24 hours) are greatly appreciated!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions: 67 Johnson Sea Horse for $200.00

So what size is this Sea Horse? They came in sizes 3hp through 115hp. After you know what you are getting, condition is everything. It's worth somewhere between $5 and $500.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops, its a 75.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi there 2nd....

So; you can't just take the free boat and leave?

In addition to knowing at least something about the size and condition of the Johnson....for me to advise you I would also want to know the condition of the boat and a little bit about your circumstances re: your ability to dispose of the unwanted portions of this deal.

Some people take a "Free Boat" for the value of the trailer. Some people take a "FREE Boat" because of accessories and other salvagables in/on the boat itself. Some people take a "Free Boat" for the value of the engine; which is not exactly your case because he wants $200.00 extra for the engine.

Some people have 200 acre farms where burying the remains of a deal like this would be no big deal. Other people (like me) would have to pay big $$$ in dump fees to discard those pieces.

Maybe you can give us a little more information?

Sounds like a fun adventure though....

Chuck

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chuck,

Its a 1962 Thompson SeaCoaster, which is a mid size wooden lapstrake hull. The actually look really good when restored, painted bottoms but nice wood topsides and windshields. I don't have any pictures but he claims he intended to restore it and never got around to it, its been under cover for four years.

I do a lot of woodwork and have been looking for a old project wood boat for a few years. It seems like a great opportunity, it has a trailer and all the parts. I figure I can burn the hull if it turns out to be too big a project (they are only worth 5-10K fully restored) and convert the trailer to a utility.

My first inclination would be to start with the hull and if I get it done well put a new 4-stroke on it. But then I thought, if the Sea Horse is an OK motor, it would look better with a period motor on it. I have never worked on a 2 stroke bigger than 10 HP so this would be a very new experience for me. That's where you guys come in!

PS: I am already a boater, I currently have a 20' deck boat with a 140 hp 4-stroke that I really enjoy. The Thompson would only be "Sunday driver"

nwcove

Admiral

do all the tests on the motor, see it run and pump water. if he cant get it going, offer $50....if no deal, take the free boat.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

do all the tests on the motor, see it run and pump water. if he cant get it going, offer $50....if no deal, take the free boat.

Thanks for the reply, this sounds like a plan.

I'm going to guess it won't run after four years sitting, but then again I don't know 2 strokes.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ah; now I understand. I know the Thompsons....they do make a fine appearance. I got a ride in one last summer up in the Pacific NW....it was owned (and restored) by a vintage boat club member up there.

I wonder if the Johnson has been used in Salt Water all its life? If so...you're in for quite a challenge if you have to dis-assemble anything. (corrosion makes the bolts very difficult to remove)

The 1967 85 HP is in the V4 family...I think you'll find that they have a good reputation; are relatively easy to work on (if you can get the bolts out :) )....and would be close enough as a "period" motor to cause you to want to have it and restore it along with the boat.

I suppose that in the worst case scenario...you could part it out and get your money back; although that's easier said than done.

Chuck

63_Thompson.jpg

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I didn't buy the motor, but I got the boat. Just a quick pick even though it doesn't really belong in the Johnson forum. It does have the Johnson controls still, so it may be relevant sometime!

IMG_20120122_204102.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice find. Those look nice when they're all restored, as the picture above shows. :)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

You say the moter was a 75 horse. The 75 horse V4 was produced from 1960 through 1965. All of them were painted white. For 1966 OMC raised the rating to 80 horsepower, then in 67 they painted them green except for the hood. For 1968 they made one last upgrade; they ditched the expensive distributor-magneto ignition for CDI ignition (made its OMC debut on the 1967 100 horse motors), plus they switched to surface gap plugs. At the same time they also raised the rating again, this time to 85 horsepower (ratings went in lock-step; 1966 the 75 went to 80, the 90 went to 100; for 68 the 60 went to 65 & 80 went to 85). An old white 75 horse would look great on that old Thompson, plus a 1964/65 75-horse would run on 50:1. Still they were known for being thirsty however, plus many components were expensive. You didn't say whether it was an Electramatic or not (they made both Electramatic & mechanical shift concurrently), but an Electramatic can prove to be a very challenging motor to restore (expensive & NLA parts). Ultimately you likely made the right call on the motor, but I think a modern motor would look out of place on your Thompson, regardless of how efficiently they function. Hey, a pair of vintage 40s would also look great on that boat .