Oops.

raymondmoyer

Seaman
Many moons ago I took my father on his first fishing trip in VA. This was also the first time my father had ever been out in my boat. So I was feeling proud, chest puffed out , head held high. On top of the world, and so was dad. He kept complimenting me on the job I did adding the casting deck and seats. Which made my head swell even more. :) Went too the new river to hook into some smallies. Fishing was great, dad was having a great time. About half way through the day, I hooked something that felt like a tree. Two seconds later I caught my first glimpse of the first Musky I have ever hooked. Scared the bejesus out of me, as it jumped clear out of the water about 5 foot from the boat. Needless to say it got both of us rather excited. I hopped up and set the hook. Yanked that rod like I was swinging a baseball bat. Felt tension on the line, and the rod doubled over and I thought, hot d@mn he's mine now. ;) Pulled back on the rod to put pressure on the fish and it happened. The line snapped, the rod came flying back, smacked me in the face so hard it stunned me for a minute. As I staggered around for a second to regain my senses. :D I heard my father ask if I was allright. I turned to answer him, said " yeah just a little stunned" and stepped right off the side of the boat into the water. :D I thought my dad was going to die laughing. After much embarrasment and pulling to get my fat butt back in the boat :D , we had a good laugh and all was well. Now my father chuckles everytime I mention fishing. Gotta cherish those memories... :)

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oops.

Great story and memory worth trasuring.