Only turns over at WOT, bad fuel?

BelewsBoater

Cadet
I bought a boat about a month ago. The previous owner had the starboard fuel tank full. Then I had the port side filled. Now its empty except the starboard, figured I'd better use it (starboard) today before it aged. Today every time I tried to get the '99 Johnson 150 2 strokes to turn over. It will not. The only time it will turn over is when I set the lever at WOT. Could the bad fuel (month old) caused this? If so I will be sure to have it drained out.

BelewsBoater

Cadet
Re: Only turns over at WOT, bad fuel?

Not enough info, I apologize. Yes correct the starter does turn the engine but the engine will not start. The guy at marina last week did the compression test for me and the results are fine. When I took the boat back home the next day I had trouble starting it. He said I flooded the engine he then instructed me on the phone to set the lever all the way down at WOT then turn the key to start the engine and once it start then pull the lever back quickly to neutral. It worked. So I took it out yesterday, at the ramp it will not start up like normal I had to push the lever full at WOT to get the engine to start it runs fine on plane but at each stop I shut it off and do some fishing. When I want to move to other spot I tried to start it normally with no success so I had to put the lever all the way at WOT to get the engine going. Hope I explained clear what the problem is? I'm a newbie to outboard stuff.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Only turns over at WOT, bad fuel?

Not enough info, I apologize. Yes correct the starter does turn the engine but the engine will not start. The guy at marina last week did the compression test for me and the results are fine. When I took the boat back home the next day I had trouble starting it. He said I flooded the engine he then instructed me on the phone to set the lever all the way down at WOT then turn the key to start the engine and once it start then pull the lever back quickly to neutral. It worked. So I took it out yesterday, at the ramp it will not start up like normal I had to push the lever full at WOT to get the engine to start it runs fine on plane but at each stop I shut it off and do some fishing. When I want to move to other spot I tried to start it normally with no success so I had to put the lever all the way at WOT to get the engine going. Hope I explained clear what the problem is? I'm a newbie to outboard stuff.

do you prime the bulb? if yes, then have you tried to advance the throttle an inch or so see if that helps???

on my motor i have to give it a little gas/ throttle in order to start the motor.... once it fires i bring the throttle down....

i also do the same thing when i start the motor cold except i push the primer solenoid to get it started....

if fuel is older than 2 months thats probably not very good anymore... try to mix some fuel additive in it....

when was last time that the carbs were rebuild or decarb done? no lately... look below and follow the instructions... good luck