Only in Oregon (maybe) Another example....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Only in Oregon (maybe) Another example....

Might I remind all that may not have noticed, This new Oregon law is effective in school zones 24/7/365. That means you could get a ticket for exceeding the posted school zone speed limit at midnight on Christmas Eve. I never objected to slowing down when children were in transit, before and after school. Many Oregon schools are on 35 -45 mph rural thoroughfares.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I DID notice that 24/7/365 part of the original post. That really doesn't change anything. What is the big deal about slowing down? It's only a couple of blocks per school. It's not really going to change your arrival time more than a minute or 2 anyway. <br /><br />Craig

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Here in Californy the average speed in my rural area is about 10 mph over the speed limit. In the big cities it is often a lot more than that unless the very common gridlock occurs. (Southern Ca. has the longest parking lots in the world) Most of the time there is little chance of even getting cited for it, so who cares? Shame, though, since there appears to be little respect for the law. (I must have seen a couple hundred illegal rockets shot last night- the Fourth. People don't stop to consider that everything is so dry out here, and there is so much available to burn. Like my shake roof, I keep thinking. Saws LOTS of fire trucks and ambulances with lights and sirens, too) The big problem is some people don't see a need for personal responsibility. Also more laws don't add to the respect for the law, they mostly dilute it. If the existing laws were evenly, fairly, and consistently enforced maybe we'd get a clue again. I don't really blame the cops, either. It would take doubling the law enforcement personnel & budgets of every department in the state. Even then it would do little good because so many of the courts here are so liberal that they see many criminals as victims and the true victims as irrelevant.<br /><br />20 mph 24/7/365 is an utterly ridiculous response to a valid issue. Lets start by enforcing the laws we have consistently and demanding personal responsibility- and then we'll see that we not only don't need more laws, but that we don't need three quarters of the ones we do have. Of course that would also require we hold our legislatures accountable, for a change. :eek:

m-boat

Cadet

Originally posted by Nathan in Arkansas:<br /> Just because school is out, does not mean that there are not children at the school. They go to the playground to play and there are a number of activities that happen at the school during summer months. I support the bill fully, and am glad they did that here. If some retard wants to go fast in front of a school and hits some kid maybe they dont need to be driving.<br /><br />If drivers dont like going slow through the school zones, then find another route.
In the city that I live in the founding fathers from the first school that was built was far enough away from the main road that we don't have those restrictions. I have seen them in other cities and I can see where they can cause a problem but YOU are going to have to live with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agre with cajun555. Here in the "metroplex" (metromess) every city handles it differently. And being an expatriated Californian, I still haven't gotten use to school starting in August, so I am a policeman's dream.<br /><br />Speaking of John Law, when school starts you'll see a cop at every school zone, radar in hand. I got a ticket once for going the standard 30 MPH for a residential area(which is an insane amount of speed in residential areas)one minute before the sign said 20 was the max. There wasn't anybody on the road, school was in session (and had been for an hour). No getting out of it.<br /><br />You can tell when school is in while traveling surface roads here. The trip that took 30 minutes in July, well it will take 60 minutes in August.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

How about a speed bump in front of every school. could come up with a mechanism to sense the little darlings by infared and raise them accordingly. Hmmm. <br /> heres a laff, I live on a rural rd in a town that has madatory bussing for all students. the school sits 2 hundred feet off the curb,(the only curb in town of 200 sq miles.) clear site of of a thousand feet, only two houses accross from the school, and the only child to have gone to that school in the last 5 years that might have crossed the street and hasnt because she's in h/s and she was allowed to walk to/from school gets stopped for doing 30 in a 25. on her last day of high school.<br /> my daughter.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

It was madatory for my daughters to ride the bus for 45 mins and we live accross the street. the bus was routed to do a northern loop before the southern end and we lived just south of the school. the kid accross the street adjacent to the school had to ride the bus too, something about state transportation funding.