Only in Oregon (maybe) Another example....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...of liberal feel good legislation from a State that continously elects the likes of Neil Goldschmidt, Vera Katz, Ted Kitzhaber, et al.<br /><br />You now get to drive 20 mph, in a school zone, 24/7/365. This is a pure case of legislators having too much time on their hands and Oregon only has a PART TIME legislature.<br /><br />The reasoning is that 50 children were HURT or killed in school zones last year. Absolutely no mention of how many were killed or how many incidents occured outside of school hours. <br /><br />This is the kind of thing that just makes my blood boil. Pure symbolism over substance IMHO! :mad:

Homerr

Commander
Re: Only in Oregon (maybe) Another example....

Yep... You hit it right on the head.<br /><br />Pure Liberalism at work.<br /><br />The law isn't designed to do anything but generate more revenue from tickets.<br /><br />Pure BS if you ask me.<br /><br />There was also another law about pedestrians in a crosswalk too, but I can't remember the whole thing. Something about a person has to wait until the pedestrian is from curb to curb even if they are in a totally different lane...<br /><br />Not sure if that's correct or not, but it already generated some major heat from the drivers. <br /><br />H.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are a few places that have the 20mph school zones 24/7/365 north of Seattle. I know I always get more than a few people trying to crawl up my tailpipes in an attempt to get me to go faster, but, Oh well. That's life in the big city I guess. For my car, it's the perfect speed. Once my car shifts into 3rd and the converter locks, it idles at exactly 20mph, so I don't even have to check, just take my foot off the peddle and put it over the brake just incase one of those little walking abortions walks out between cars.<br /><br />Craig

Dunaruna

Admiral

Not just Oregon boomyal, we've got it here too but its not 24/7/365. It only applies 8 till 9am and 3 till 4pm school days.<br /><br />Aldo

11 footer

Lieutenant

Here in Mass they have these flashing lights poll that turn on while school is starting or getting out, they make you slow down to 15 or 20mph, then turn off the rest of the time and its the regular speed limit.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> Here in Mass they have these flashing lights poll that turn on while school is starting or getting out, they make you slow down to 15 or 20mph, then turn off the rest of the time and its the regular speed limit.
That is the way it was in Oregon as well although I don't think every school had the flashing lites. The gum'nt said it was necessary to remove the confusion as to when to slow down and when not. I hope this creates a huge public outcry although I think too many wise, caaaaring, progressive, 'it takes a village' types inhabit Oregon.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Or......... They could really make it simple and do away with school zones all together.... Yep. That'd be fine with me...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

School Zones? :eek: <br /><br />How much are the points for them little fellows? :D <br /><br />The school zones are 15mph here, but just at certain times which is ok.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I can see slowing down during certain times during the day.<br /><br />The problem with the street I live on, is that we have 4 school zones in a row. There is a break between two of them, but the others are back to back. I think some city planning should have been done there. This is a very busy road. <br /><br />I also think that there should not be a school zone along a high school. By that age, they should know how to cross a street if they aren't driving yet.

NathanY

Commander

Just because school is out, does not mean that there are not children at the school. They go to the playground to play and there are a number of activities that happen at the school during summer months. I support the bill fully, and am glad they did that here. If some retard wants to go fast in front of a school and hits some kid maybe they dont need to be driving.<br /><br />If drivers dont like going slow through the school zones, then find another route.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a real inconvenience slowing down around a school while they are in session. Yep, darn kids should know better than to dart out into traffic.<br />Even though they are cooped up in school all day, they really should keep a lid on all that energy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Nathan in Arkansas:<br /> Just because school is out, does not mean that there are not children at the school. They go to the playground to play and there are a number of activities that happen at the school during summer months. I support the bill fully, and am glad they did that here.
I certainly hope that your sentiment makes you feel like a caring person. By your logic we should make every street where children might be, subject to 15-20 mph speed limits. During the summertime, as well as others, one could encounter as great a number of kids on the street as you would find around a school during non-transit hours.

NathanY

Commander

By your logic we should make every street where children might be, subject to 15-20 mph speed limits. During the summertime, as well as others, one could encounter as great a number of kids on the street as you would find around a school during non-transit hours. <br />
So are you saying that all urban streets should be 45mph maybe 55? Yeah you do what you want in your state, but dont come down here and expect to drive like that, especially in my neighborhood.<br /><br />High speeds are made for highways.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

So are you saying that all urban streets should be 45mph maybe 55? Yeah you do what you want in your state, but dont come down here and expect to drive like that, especially in my neighborhood.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

In town, in the housing/residentail areas I see nothing at all wrong with a 25MPH speed limit and 15 - 20 in School Zones. The streets with 2 or more lanes in each direction I can see 35 or 40, but anything faster should be left to the highways and freeways. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left earlier, or just accept that you are going to be late and live with it.<br /><br />If I had my way, for every mile over the posted speed limits would result in a 50.00 fine. Except for the 25 and below zones, I use the Cruise Control to keep me from going over. I have my foot over the brake just incase, but I don't have to worry about speeding that way, and I also don't have to look for or worry about where the cops might be hiding.<br /><br />It's funny, when I was going through Physical Therapy, I had to get on the highway and the limit is 60, just after it jumps to 60, the raod curves and the state troupers were usually sitting there with the radar guns. I drive a 93 red (Burgondy) Mustang with the V-8. Those cops would check me, then someone else, then back to me and the puzzled look on their faces that I was actually doing the speed limit and not slowing down when I saw them was awesome.<br /><br />there really isn't any need to speed. There has to be a reason why it's posted at what it is posted at, or they would post it higher.<br /><br />Think about that!<br /><br />Craig

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The statistics below show why you need a 20mph speed limit outside schools or in residential areas, I cant see how you can argue against it unless you just think your time is more precious than other peoples lives. It is this type of attitude that requires the state to legislate because common sense and civic responsibility is sadly missing from a large number of the population. <br /><br />Hit by a car at 40mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed <br />Hit by a car at 30mph, about half of pedestrians will be killed <br />Hit by a car at 20mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will survive.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> Hit by a car at 40mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed <br />Hit by a car at 30mph, about half of pedestrians will be killed <br />Hit by a car at 20mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will survive.
Soooo, lets drive at 20 mph where ever there might be people of any age, Hm? It'd kinda be like safe s*x! ;) <br />In Oregon, you can hitch hike on the freeways. We'd better slow down there, might hurt em if we do over 20.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boomyal:<br /><br />Why are you *****ing about the speed limits? It's a fact of life. People can't seem to limit themselves, so that's why we have cops and why they are forced to hand out tickets to those that exceed those limits. Drive the speed limit and then you won't have to worry about it.<br /><br />I honestly don't under stand the mentality of feeling that people have to go over the speed limits.<br /><br />Craig

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I don't mind the slower speeds in the school zones, But I drive all over the FW/D Metromess. All the towns are different, Some have flashing lights (no hours posted), Some zones with just hours posted, and some with flashing light and hours. Then with all the different cities, they all get get to choose there on different times of 20 mph, they all take different days off for holidays, etc. etc. Its confusing.