Online tune-up procedures.

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone have any links to specifics of engine tune up and carburetor sync regarding an 85 evinrude 235?
I am disappointed that my seloc manual did not go into detail on these issues, and cant really afford a factory manual at this time.
thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Online tune-up procedures.

Link 'n' Synch is very touchy on the big JohnnyRudes and should be specific to that exact engine.

A Factory Manual will cost you a lot less than the gasoline bill for a one day trip . If you "can't afford" to fix it right, can you afford to run it?

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice. I know there are pleanty of knowlegable and helpful folks on here who can either post some links, or even better, scan the 1 or 2 pages dedicated to my question and either send it to me or post it.

Thanks for your aknowlegment of my temporary lack of spare funds, but I disagree on your assertion that I dont want to "fix" my motor right. On the contrary, I am simply using this board and forum for its intended purpose.

I am a machinist and mechanic by trade, and while I am not a certified outboard motor mechanic, I do own several outboard motors and have repaired and rebuilt them with the manuals I have, but as I said in my post, the specific manual for this specific motor lacks the needed information.

Cheap manual, yes, but before I go spending 70+ bucks, I will give this board a try, which does not imply that I cannot afford to fix my motor right.

Thank you.

CATransplant

Admiral

Thanks for your aknowlegment of my temporary lack of spare funds, but I disagree on your assertion that I dont want to "fix" my motor right. On the contrary, I am simply using this board and forum for its intended purpose.

Actually, the intended purpose of this board is for boaters to get advice from other boaters. And that's what you've gotten. The very best advice possible, in fact. Yes, someone might copy some pages of the manual and send them to you. Or they might not.

Having the manual yourself will save you lots of time, and is a cheap investment. So the wise advice you've gotten here is serving exactly the purpose of this board and forum.

Indeed, since the forum is sponsored and paid for by a business which actually sells the very manual you are looking for, it seems a bit much to me to ask other members of the forum, who have bought their manual, to send you parts of it for free.

Just one guy's opinion.

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice!
Not trying to get in a peeing contest here. Just posting my opinion as have you.

John

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Jeb, a lot of new users try to think of this board as a substitute for a real shop manual ... it isn't (and if you don't already have one, don't expect too much help.) There are just too many different J/E motors, and we all don't have specific experience with every one of them. I've personally worked on motors numbering in the 100's, but that doesn't mean I've ever seen yours.

Do yourself a big favor and get an OEM manual.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Copying of copyrighted material is a violation of federal law. We do not allow it.

Soliciting members to violate the law is a double hit.

The best we can honestly do is supplement a Manual. We cannot replace it.

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Glen.
Let me know if theres anything I can do for you.
John