online "College Certificate"

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am thinking of taking an online course. I havent found anything in my area that fits what I want or my schedule. I work lots of hours and simply would have trouble keeping any schedule.After a long search I found this course.
http://www.georgebrown.ca/Marketing/FTCal/caet/T903.aspx

I found others, but this one seemed to fit the best. It sounds good and I have found a few forums online where people who are currently taking this course are giving it good reviews. This George Brown College is in Toronto Canada. Has anyone done a "college Certificate" online? Any opinions on this method of taking classes? I have access to any equipment and tools for some "hands on" practice which would be at no cost to me. Thanks

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: online

Like you have stated, if online courses are the only thing available, then they are the way to go.

If this technology is job related (or possible future job related), you could ask around for someone in the business, to see if this course is useful and if there is anything better or less expensive available.

Bottom line, if having a certificate helps on the resume or job application, it is probably worthwhile, verses not having anything.

Once you get the interview, your desire to excel and enthusiasm will weigh in also.

Good luck.

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. I would be taking the course basically to improve my knowledge and skills. It is job related. Not really for something to put on a resume, but in the future that might be a factor. Being that the college is in Canada, I really dont have the option to ask anyone how the course is except what I find online. Which has been good so far. I know enough to know that the contents of the course fits what I want to learn. I am in a related field, have some knowledge of the subject, but would like to expand it. I am just a little unsure of the validity of an "online certificate" compared to a cetificate from a local tech college.

Thanks

mscher

Lieutenant

divo said:
Thanks for the reply. I would be taking the course basically to improve my knowledge and skills. It is job related. Not really for something to put on a resume, but in the future that might be a factor. Being that the college is in Canada, I really dont have the option to ask anyone how the course is except what I find online. Which has been good so far. I know enough to know that the contents of the course fits what I want to learn. I am in a related field, have some knowledge of the subject, but would like to expand it. I am just a little unsure of the validity of an "online certificate" compared to a cetificate from a local tech college.

Thanks

Like you said, since there are no local courses, you don't have many options.

In reality, having a "certificate" is like a having college degree, when it comes to a promotion or new job. It's more important that you have one (if it is a basic requirement), verses not having one, than what school it comes from.

What YOU have to offer is usually what get the promotion or job.

Investing in any education advancement is always worthwhile.