One set of laws for us, and one for them.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Court: drunk Congressman 'on duty,' immune<br /><br /><br />RAPID CITY, S.D., July 14 (UPI) -- A federal judge in South Dakota said a drunk former Congressman who killed a motorcyclist in a wreck was on duty and so not liable for civil damages.<br /><br />U.S. Magistrate Arthur Boylan's ruling means that any damages that may be awarded to the estate of the motorcyclist will come from taxpayers -- not former Rep. Bill Janklow, the Sioux Falls Argus reported Wednesday.<br /><br />The family of motorcyclist Randy Scott, 55, of Hardwick, Minn., filed a lawsuit in the Aug. 16 death, and Boylan's Tuesday ruling means the federal government, not Janklow, must be listed as the defendant.<br /><br />The family plans an appeal.<br /><br />Janklow, who was elected to Congress in 2002 after serving 16 years as governor, spent 100 days in jail after being convicted of speeding, running a stop sign, reckless driving and second-degree manslaughter.<br /><br />He resigned from the House in January.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: One set of laws for us, and one for them.

Your subject title says it all, Jinx. Our ancestors fought the Revolutionary war to get away from being ruled by an aristocracy, but our legislators and elected officials are fast becoming our new aristocracy. Of course, they don't fight this, just keep passing laws that exempt them from being treated like regular citizens.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

100 days in jail for murder.<br />That's about right.<br />Bet ya he still has his driving rights also.<br /><br />If it was you or I, we would be under the jail and the key would be gone.<br /><br />So very sad.<br />Another reason I don't have anything for people that drink and drive. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

In this country you don't get to be a high ranking elected official without owing lots of favors and having a lot of favors owed. That's why they have mimimum security country club prisons for these guys. Remember, judges start out as lawyers, then they work themselves up the political ladder until they run for judge, now go back and read the first sentence. In politics who you know is more important then what you know. <br /><br />Let's wait until and see what Martha and her friend get, it should be interesting to see what fame and the best lawyers can do. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:mad:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Hang Janklow....
hanged.gif
<br />And, run the magistrate outta town on a rail...

Link

Rear Admiral

:mad: Pet pive of mine! <br />Even worse is Diplomatic Immunity! :mad: Grrrrrrr :mad: <br /><br />Have a guy in this town who owns a strip club. About once a month or so he goes out to impress his thug (ME) friends and customers thug (US) friends. Will unload a clip of rounds in the air! The police always show up and let him taunt them with "Isn't it GREAT live in America" as he walks back into his club!.<br />After 15 years the only reason they show up is that they are afraid if they don't he will take it to another level and actually shoot someone! <br />Just to prove his point!<br /><br />He can not be arrested or even have his weapons taken away for public safety! <br /><br />Did I say mad as H*LL Grrrrrrr<br /><br />Thanks for letting me rant on a local issue :) <br /><br />SlowlySinking <br />First of all Quit picking on my gal Martha! ;) <br /> <br />
In this country you don't get to be a high ranking elected official without owing lots of favors and having a lot of favors owed. That's why they have mimimum security country club prisons for these guys.
20 years ago I would have read that and thought you were one wacked out person.. :) "Country Club Prisons" Right! Jokes on me now! I actually know two people (not by choice) who commited "white collar crimes" and were (still are) well connected and after being convicted were sent to a local jail. Then went to get their sentence.. one was for three years and the other 6 years..<br />Both were let go (no more jail) and told when and where to check in for the time to serve. No Bars and to their dismay no doors on their cells. :confused: They were in with a lot of Mobsters (who don't exist) these days :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

At minimum, it's as twisted as diplomatic immunity. But how do we fix it? It's been going on up there in the ivory tower since before Teddy Kennedy tried to cross the bridge drunk.<br />I would like to see "zero tolerance" for ALL drunk public servant drivers (not just garbage truck drivers).

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

SlowlySinking.... you saw what fame and good lawyers could do with the OJ trial... that and a dips**t judge who just wanted to be a TV star.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jack Shellac, It is interesting you used the term aristocracy in your reply. I had in my original subject line the same word. I changed it because I didn't think anyone would read it--a common problem with most of my posts!<br /><br />Jinx

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I was under the impression,but now i do solemnly believe that only crooks run for elected offices :mad: :mad: :mad: