One for the winterizing gurus.

MilChad

Seaman
How many people on here do their own winterizing?
Assuming the one doing the winterizing has average mechanical skills (can change their own oil, spark plus on a car, things like that) how difficult of a job is it?

* For the ones that do their own work, and have sold their boat, do potential buyers shy away from work that has not been done by a ?professional??

* Is there an easy way to log your work to show future boat buyers. (I guess you could keep receipts for things like oil, fuel filter, impellers, etc.)

* If you take (for example, a Merc 4.3 or 5.0) to a pro for winterizing, what?s the typical cost?

Thanks!

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer
Re: One for the winterizing gurus.

I have always done my own and no it's not complicated. What boat/motor are you referring too? Year?

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with mpdive. Winterizing is easy - and even super simple if not waiting until it is too cold out there to make it "unpleasant".

As for tracking, I keep a spreadsheet, with travels, distances, engine hours, gas purchased, work done, etc. No idea if it will "impress" another buyer, but at least it helps my memory. Also take a bunch of photos every time work is done.

robert graham

Admiral

Winterizing an outboard motor is just not that complex....what some folks would call "winterizing", others would call just "preventive maintenance", plus the fogging of the motor, draining of carbs, etc.

MilChad

Seaman

Thanks guys, not a boat owner yet, just looking for some real world experience. I like the take photos of the work ideas, thanks for sharing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The day any of my new boats reached my yard a file folder was started into which every receipt, owners manual, factory service manual, dealer brochure, accessory manual, etc was placed. There is nothing that makes a potential new owners face light up more than to see the entire documentation set plopped in front of him/her. That says you care and it doesn't matter who did the work from that point. As for routine service, step one is to buy the factory (repeat factory) service manual for your engine/outdrive. It saves time, provides the answers you need, and helps eliminate costly mistakes. But then you really need to open it and study it.

ziggy

Admiral

i do my own winterizing. it's not to hard albeit time consuming. agree with above about getting on to it prior to real nasty weather. doing in in nasty weather then it isn't any fun.
like silvertip. i throw all my recipts in a folder. i've also made a repair log that i try to fill out when i do a repair. along them lines, i also made a 3 or 4 page list of what i want to do for winterizing. i made my own list using the service manual as a guide + what i've learned on iboats.
i've done all my own work on my boat so far with very minor exceptions. receipted and logged. attached is my winterizing list. in no perticular order. the full page is #1, last page ends with notes.

Attachments

• winterize list pp1.JPG
    winterize list pp1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
  • winterize list pp2.JPG
    winterize list pp2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • winterize list pp3.JPG
    winterize list pp3.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • winterize list pp4.JPG
    winterize list pp4.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 0

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Man its hard to follow Silvertip on these, he is dead on as usual, your looking for that "Anal" boat owner by most standards but more accurately the boat owner that worshiped his boat, it will be obvious once you find it. Records are a huge plus, but look for the boat that looks like it just came off the showroom floor, be careful if it looks like it just got the detailing of a lifetime, I prefer owners that do their own work because they are less likely to wait to get something looked at, minor vibrations, that little squeak, little things drive us nuts and while the wife and kids are in the water were usually in the engine compartment or on our backs under the helm!!

First thing you do when you get a boat is get a manufacturers manual for the motor and drive and get after learning your new pride and joy, winterizing is nothing more then loving your baby a little more, just like changing the oil.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Nobody, no mechanic or technician will ever put the love and dedication into your boat that you will. Yes there are some really great mechanics out there. Some that really care about what they're doing. They don't love your boat like you do, though.

When I'm ready for my next boat, I'll be looking for the owner who's done all or at least a lot of his own work. That's just my preferance.

Learn all you can, and do all you can. Ask for help when you're unsure. You're already off to a good start. Keep us posted.

MilChad

Seaman

All great suggestions. Thanks guys! As far as the factory service manual is concerned, is that something you can download as a .pdf? If not, where can you buy them?

ziggy

Admiral

lots of folks that use those have cracked blocks. i read of their woes every spring on iboats. if ya wanna be sure it's not gonna crack, remove all the water from the cooling system and your done. air don't freeze nor expand. if ya gotta use anti freeze, drain all the water out of the system and introduce your anti freeze via the tstat and directly into the manifolds. or whatever way your oem service manual states for introduction. just not that way. draining all the water is the key..

slag

Chief Petty Officer

I have too much stuff to do to keep an itemized list of everything done to the boat, or keep every receipt of everything done to my boat. If a potential boat buyer wants to buy my boat, he'll have to take me at my word and after the lake trial, he'll make his decision. I don't get the people who keep spreadsheets of every little thing you did or every little receipt for everything. Its just information overload and not helpful.

Day 5, farted on the passenger cushion. Used 2 oz of febreeze and a #30 soft bristled brush to gently remove odorous vapors...

Day 6, Put in 12.35 gallons of 87 octane fuel at pump 3 at the marina.

Day 7, etc..

How can you enjoy your boat (and life), if you spend so much time keeping files and documenting everything. I know I cant.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lots of folks that use those have cracked blocks. i read of their woes every spring on iboats. if ya wanna be sure it's not gonna crack, remove all the water from the cooling system and your done. air don't freeze nor expand. if ya gotta use anti freeze, drain all the water out of the system and introduce your anti freeze via the tstat and directly into the manifolds. or whatever way your oem service manual states for introduction. just not that way. draining all the water is the key..

this part sucks. maybe those you are referncing didnt do a very competent job. I live in seattle so we are no stranger to freezing temps. i do however not skimp on it, i also put 100% anti-freeze in and I open up a couple drains to make sure anti-freeze drips out.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

@MilChad,

If looking at the FAQ in the appropriate engine forum, you will most likely find a link to the pdf version of owners manual, FSM, and lots of other great information. If something's missing, asking nicely normally results in someone providing the information.

If you want to see what Volvo recommends, I have the VP "Winterizing Manual" at home (can share), but I am sure you can find it around these forums as well.

@slag:
I keep track of a lot of things in life via spreadsheets/small data bases. Most of the time, you really never look at them, but when you do need the historical information, it is immensely valuable. Really does not take any time, maybe 30 seconds/day, tops, to keep everything updated.

Been "tabbing" my expenses, personal as well as business, in Excel since 1988 (before that on paper). Can tell you how much I paid for that beer in France in 1984, and how much I paid for lodging in Croatia in 1993, or how much the flight to HK was in 2004, energy consumption for the whole house in 2001, etc. Small tid bits of life...:)

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I'm LMAO! Febreeze, brush........

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I just bought a used boat on Friday (9/9) - mpdive assisted some of my questions prior (thanks again!) - and called the only marina directly in my town about arrangements for a slip next year. (he said I have to call back in April because they are booked as of now) but while I had him on the phone I asked him what the typical cost of winterization and shrink-wrapping of my boat would be, a ball park if you will. He said they are two separate services but together would be in the range of $600-$800 or without an acid washing or coat? (not sure exactly) it would be $400 - $600.

That sounded a bit high to me but I really have no clue. I have a 2000 Marada 20' Open Bow I/O with a 5.0 L GM Merc V8.

Does this sound like an accurate price assessment he gave me? I am considering doing the winterization myself (especially if it costs that much) but am not super mechanical. I do still want to get it wrapped because unfortunately I have to store it outside this year.

Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks! -Chris

Philster

Captain

When you open all drains and get all the water out, no one gets to sell you anything. It is the best and recommended way to winterize an I/O.

Anti-freeze methods/kits are on the market, not because they are best, but because places like West Marine don't make a penny when you just drain all the water. Soon, you'll tire of hearing that 'air don't freeze'.

As for the 'how to' stuff on winterizing... it's posted as a 'sticky note' at the top of the engine forums.

Tune in next season for a special episode of "Hey, my engine block cracked!", filmed in Florida under the glow of a 60w light bulb hanging in the bilge. Oops! Even the know-it-all Floridian boaters get zinged!

:p

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

So I just bought a used boat on Friday (9/9) - mpdive assisted some of my questions prior (thanks again!) - and called the only marina directly in my town about arrangements for a slip next year. (he said I have to call back in April because they are booked as of now) but while I had him on the phone I asked him what the typical cost of winterization and shrink-wrapping of my boat would be, a ball park if you will. He said they are two separate services but together would be in the range of $600-$800 or without an acid washing or coat? (not sure exactly) it would be $400 - $600.

That sounded a bit high to me but I really have no clue. I have a 2000 Marada 20' Open Bow I/O with a 5.0 L GM Merc V8.

Does this sound like an accurate price assessment he gave me? I am considering doing the winterization myself (especially if it costs that much) but am not super mechanical. I do still want to get it wrapped because unfortunately I have to store it outside this year.

Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks! -Chris

Congrats on the purchase Chris. Send some pics if you can. Absolutely winterize your boat on your own. It's cost effective, you know it's done thoroughly, and it's agreat way to become familiar with your boat. As far as wrapping your boat I guess it depends where you live. I lived in Cleveland for most my life and never wrapped my boats. I always applied a good thick coat of wax, and a couple of tarps and never had a problem. One thing to look for, and I'm not sure where you live at, but many local fairs that have the livestock buildings have started renting out the indoor spaces for the winter. The one in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio charged something like 40.00 for the winter. Kept the boat away from the elements. You might want to check near you and see if it's offered. Feel free to post for help or PM if needed. Enjoy!

whitecrystal1

Seaman

Draining the water is key for sure, but I always use one of these to fill with antifreeze afterwords and never had an issue. I also pull the T-stat and I always use -100deg antifreeze. It's not this kit that causes blocks to crack it's from people not doing it right :)