One for the collection 6hp Johnson

Shayneh2006

Cadet
Hi there from Australia.

So yesterday I found and purchased this 6hp Johnson that was rusted on Facebook market place.

Story behind it was the sellers grandfathers, found coveted and stored during an estate clearout.

The motor appears and real nice shape and such a bargain at $250 (Aussie dollars) which included the stand, tank and hose. The model is 6BAL78B So I assume the “78” means 1978 model ???? and if so, fantastic condition given its 45 years old.
Photos in the link below

Now, did I need it for putting into service ?….. the answer is no as I have others I use for my boating and fishing. I bought it because it is one of a kind in this condition, and will probably sit in my man cave for admiration for years to come….. I doubt whether it will appreciate in value as these models are everywhere being millions made.

So for the question, I really want to fire this up just to see how it runs but before I do, is there any precautionary steps I should do with the combustion chambers like spraying some oil or something through the spark plug holes ? I figure if the previous owner did not spay anything in there (like OMC recommends prior to storing it) the rings may have some surface rust which may score the bore. At this stage I haven’t pulled on the starter rope in fear of this .

The water pump, I have no intensions of changing (unless I get keen) as I will watch for operation when started and shut it down if not pumping water. Seems a waste of money to change the part if I have no intensional to use.

Anyhow, any other tips for treatment of an engine that hasn’t been used appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PuM39YRq9jcKp45p9

Shayneh2006

Cadet
Oil in the cylinders....spin the flywheel by hand..... possibly clean the carb.
Thanks for the tip. I assume just straight 2 stroke oil. I am just thinking, may need to be oil in a spray can so all the cylinder walls get a coating. If I just tip some oil in there, gravity might just keep the oil coating on the lowest sides of the cylinder walls….. Just thinking that way 😊

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??---You put the motor in a position so that plug holes face the sky.----Spray some storage oil in there.

Shayneh2006

Cadet
Cheers….. Just did some google searching and found a website where they claim
Pouring transmission fluid into the cylinders is an old mechanical trick, proven to help loosen things up in there. I haven’t heard of this before but it sounds ok 👍

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
don't make this to complicated.... common fogging oil with work fine just rotate the FW a few times after fogging the cyl. s. just put a doggie pad under the GC if you store it upright !

lots of utubes around to help clean the carb

changing the impeller is easy as pie and should be done BEFORE you fire it up even for just a test run as a dried impeller can send chunks up the water tube into internal passages of the power head.

that is a real nice find. tank and all well worth the price in that condition...cheaper than taxes on new one :)

Last edited:

Shayneh2006

Cadet
Good morning and thanks for all the advice
A carburettor kit will be assessed on trying to start and if needed, might fit a new one. I have all the shop manuals for these earlier models that I picked up at a garage sale years ago, to assist.

Noted about the water pump. When I get a chance, will lower the GC and check out the condition of the existing water pump.

Just makes you wonder how many of these engines that are out there, purchased back in the day, used a few times (maybe sometimes never used) and then put away collecting dust.

I was pretty lucky scoring this one as motors of the same vintage and in well used condition that are currently being sold here are bigger dollars. Check out the link below of local engines being sold here in Sydney Australia for example https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfymcWebEangH4W76

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
yes you did real good ... carb likely fine just clean it ...

no cheap chineese carb kits... their orange gasket melt with fuel in the carb

always reuse nylon washers on the GC oil screws .

don't hesitate change the impeller... it sat all those years getting stiff and brittle ready to plug up your powerhead

tphoyt

Ensign
I picked up an 02 Johnson 40 commercial about 10 years ago for $600. It had roughly 20 hr on it and was like new. The guy I got it from was a shellfish warden and the city wanted him using a 4 stroke on the pond and bought one for him so he put the 2 stoke in garage and that’s where sat until I found it.

Shayneh2006

Cadet
No cheap Chinese carb kits you say ????…… Guess what arrived in the post today destination, for my Rude 35 😳😊518C66CE-AA0E-45F8-9CEE-1E48DC3B5C1D.jpeg

Attachments

• EDDAC68E-AF7B-442D-99D7-C13567B25462.jpeg
    EDDAC68E-AF7B-442D-99D7-C13567B25462.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

tphoyt

Ensign
Best of luck if you decide to use it.
I know some that have tried and things didn’t go well.
As mentioned melted gaskets, wrong jets, non matching needles and the list goes on.
Find an OEM kit if you can or Sierra is the next best thing.