one battery or two?

sidecut

Cadet
I bought an old Starcraft 14 ft. fiberglass w/ console, & 40 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. Came w/ Humminbird. Taking Minnkota C2 30 off kayak, mounting on boat. Boat came w/ deep cycle battery. Do I really have to put a 2nd battery in, to just run the sonar and Minn? Will only be using at spd. 3 on a 5 spd troller. 1 1/2 mph for walleye, for about 2 hrs./outing. Drift fish the rest of 5 hr. trip. (bad back, can't be cooped up in boat much longer then that) I would think I could just run the rig on one battery. I have a gauge, can monitor power use to ensure re-starting the 'Rude. I don't want the extra weight, don't have the room, and don't want to spend the $$ if I don't have to. Wife is already rolling her eyes every time the UPS trick arrives. I'm sure some of you have been that route. Watcha' think? Oh, and I do have a manual 50 amp circuit breaker for Minn. in case you were going to warn me.

Last edited:

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: one battery or two?

I run my 12/24 volt 35 lb thrust motor guide troller all the time with just one battery. The key is to make sure the battery is big enough and is in good health.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: one battery or two?

It all depends on how big the deep cycle battery is (reserve minutes) and it's condition. Your troller will draw in the 15 - 20 amp/hour range if running continuously. If the reserve minutes are 140 (as an example) that number is determined using a 23 or 25 amp/hour draw. So for each hour run, the motor sucks 20 amps from the battery. It would no longer be able to deliver 20 amps after 7 hours. That would also mean the battery will obviously not be able to deliver the 150 amps or so required to start the engine. Cut that run time in half and you might still have a marginal situation. If the engine needs any prolonged cranking you are in trouble (even though a 40 can be rope started). It's your call -- you take your chances.