Once and for all!

LubeDude

Admiral
Two cars travelling on the freeway at the same speed hit head on, Is the impact where the two cars meet the same as if each one hit a brick wall, or double that force? Ive heard it both ways.<br /><br />We have all seen the swinging balls desk gizmo, the ball bounces back the same distance whether you lift both end balls back and let them go as if you just lift one ball and let it go. Sure seems it would be double the force though.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Once and for all!

The force is doubled because of the inertia of each vehicle, whereas a stationary wall has no inertia.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, I think the force would be calculated by the total speed of the two cars combined. So 1 car going 50 and another car going 50 would be like running into a wall at 100 mph.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I believe we should conduct a real world test to confirm SW theory.<br /><br />Who wants to volunteer? :D <br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

LD, it all depends on if the vehicles are using synthetic oil or not. Less friction with the synthetic oil, so the force would be less. Is that the right answer?

D

DJ

The energy is doubled, with the a larger percentage (received) going to the vehicle of less mass.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

LD<br />Ok, In theory the impacts are the same (providing the wall does not move when the car hits it)<br /><br />say the cars weigh 1000kg with a speed of 20mtr/sec and each impact happens for 1 sec.<br /><br />Momentum = mass*velocity<br />Force = Momentum*time<br /><br />Car hitting wall=<br /><br />20000kg*mtr/sec * 1<br />Force= 20000kg*mtr/sec*sec<br /><br />2 cars hitting head on<br /><br />40000kg*mtr/sec * 1 divided by 2 (2 cars)<br />Force= 20000kg*mtr/sec*sec per car

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> I think I will go cut my grass...
Yeah! Watch your speed and don't collide head on with another lawn mower :D <br />If'n you do, let us know at what speed :p :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Copy and paste:<br /><br />During a collision, the momentum of each object adds to the final momentum. The law of conservation of momentum states- the momentum of any closed, isolated system does not change. In a head on collision, the momentum of the two cars are added and equal the total momentum of the wreck. If you hit a tree at 25 miles per hour, you will feel the force of hitting it at 25 miles per hour. If you hit an oncoming car at 25 miles an hour and it is coming at you at the same speed, the force of the collision is 50 miles per hour.

aspeck

Staff member

I still say it depends on the oil.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Passengers can only die once. Anything beyond that is immaterial.<br /><br />Grass? Oh, yes. Mine needs cutting, NOW.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

The desk ball scenario in my experience is if both balls are raised and let fall the exact same distance, no significant rebound is observed. Then again, in the collision, the force is doubled, but then so is the number of vehicles involved. Therefore, as the formula demonstrates, the force is equal, assuming the wall does not move.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

The force may be doubled but it is then divided by two (two cars). Same as one car hitting one wall.<br /><br />Just mowed mine...

dolluper

Captain

Some kids walked by me today I think they were smoking all that grass you guy's cut today :D :D