Onboard battery charger question

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been checking several threads and printing out some, but I still haven't seen the answer I am looking for.
I have 2 batteries on my 18' Starcraft. A deep cell in front of the boat and a starting battery in the stern for the 115hp Mercury. The deep cell does all the work and needs recharging the most. The 115hp Mercury isn't ran very much and so the starting battery will run down.
I want to install an onboard charger and thought it would be wise to put in a 2-bank smart charger, but with 1 battery in front and 1 in the rear I would need 2 chargers because the output cables are only 7' long. I would want to mount the charger in the front, under the deck, closer to the deep cell battery.
Would it be acceptable to increase the length of the charger cable to the rear battery. It would have to be about 18' long. I am beginning to think I may need a seperate charger for each battery.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What have other boaters done in this situation?

eastern27

Seaman
Re: Onboard battery charger question

I've been checking several threads and printing out some, but I still haven't seen the answer I am looking for.
I have 2 batteries on my 18' Starcraft. A deep cell in front of the boat and a starting battery in the stern for the 115hp Mercury. The deep cell does all the work and needs recharging the most. The 115hp Mercury isn't ran very much and so the starting battery will run down.
I want to install an onboard charger and thought it would be wise to put in a 2-bank smart charger, but with 1 battery in front and 1 in the rear I would need 2 chargers because the output cables are only 7' long. I would want to mount the charger in the front, under the deck, closer to the deep cell battery.
Would it be acceptable to increase the length of the charger cable to the rear battery. It would have to be about 18' long. I am beginning to think I may need a seperate charger for each battery.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What have other boaters done in this situation?

Many of the smart charger manufacturers have extension cables you can use to run back to the starting battery.

ProTurbo

Seaman

Hi, I bought a Dual Pro SE last year. In the user manual they tell you not to extend your charger cable. Some have temperature sensor and I guess they don't want you to modified anything.

What I would do is, but the two batteries together, If you have to buy cable to put your 2nd battery in the front, buy a good battery cable.

Hope this help

ProTurbo

Ps: Maybe someone has a better way.

eastern27

Seaman

Moving the starting battery to the front would be a pricey fix. The cable might set you back as much as the charger. Plus, if you don't upgrade the cable size you'll get a voltage drop your engine might not like. You can find a bunch of smart chargers, some you have to hardwire the charging leads on yourself, others can use extensions. Search a few of the reputable sights and you'll find what you need.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Some chargers do indeed tell you not to lengthen (or shorten) the leads. Howver if the manufacturer offers an extender kit, then it's ok. However, there is a more economical and practical fix to your situation. Why not buy a single bank 6A for the troller. Then install a Schumacher maintainer on the start battery. Problem solved. I will be doing that for the third time when my new pontoon arrives on Monday. The start battery rarely gets deeply discharged anyway so why have an expensive charger loafing all the time (provided its not a load share charger). 6A smart chargers (Guest and Pro Angler are about $75 and a Schumacher maintainer is $25.00. A dual bank charger with 6A outputs will run $129 - $149 on average.

-1boat

Seaman Apprentice

I don't see where extending the charger cables would be an issue unless, as mentioned above, there is a temp. compensator involved.

Otherwise, as long as you use the proper gauge of wire, I'd say go for it.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some chargers do indeed tell you not to lengthen (or shorten) the leads. Howver if the manufacturer offers an extender kit, then it's ok. However, there is a more economical and practical fix to your situation. Why not buy a single bank 6A for the troller. Then install a Schumacher maintainer on the start battery. Problem solved. I will be doing that for the third time when my new pontoon arrives on Monday. The start battery rarely gets deeply discharged anyway so why have an expensive charger loafing all the time (provided its not a load share charger). 6A smart chargers (Guest and Pro Angler are about $75 and a Schumacher maintainer is $25.00. A dual bank charger with 6A outputs will run $129 - $149 on average.

I think you hit it right on the head. Cabela's have their 2 bank charger on sale for $90. and the 15' battery extension would give me just the right length (another $20.)
But a single bank charger and once a month throw my Schumacher on the starting battery is a option. Also the larger motor has its own charging capabilities. If I use it.
Thanks everyone for jumping on this one for me, it definately pointed out options I didn't see.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My new Pro Angler specifically indicates DO NOT cut the terminals or modify the cables as it may damage the charger. No reasons given why that could happen but temperature compensation is a possibility. They do make an extender kit but it's designed so the terminals are not removed and the additiional wires spliced on.

The $25 Schumacher maintainer I mentioned is an on-board unit that can remain in the boat. They are sold at any auto or farm store. They are fully potted so are ignition and water protected. Great units and smart as well so they can be left on indefinitely just like the big charger. Mine are plugged in all winter.